Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Jun 9, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #16 of 32
Aqualung is a great album. Not only did Ian Anderson write and arrange the entire album as well as singing and playing the flute, he also played all of the acoustic guitar on the album. Martin Barre played mostly just the electric guitar parts, which imo was of lesser importance to the core of the album. Ian Anderson is a genius.

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #17 of 32
JETHRO TULL........... AQUALUNG
This was great when it came out and it's still great now. What a recording!

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #19 of 32
So much good music in that era. That was my high school years and these albums are part of my fabric. Aqualung was among the first pieces of music I wore out. Won the tape in a schoolbus poker game. I should be ashamed but I'd hustle this kid's tape collection playing cards.

Thick as a Brick came out and that changed my idea of what an album should be. From that point on, I was a lifelong prog. rock fan. The Moody Blues, Genesis, Camel, Floyd-pre WYWH, Nektar, Uriah Heep, Mr. Zappa, Jefferson Airplane, Mike Oldfield.....anything I could get my hands on. But it all started with Aqualung.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #20 of 32
I was visiting my Stepmothers Familys summer cabin in Deborah Canada. The only way you could get to those islands was with boats. Each island had blueberrys all over the place and a cabin or two. It was the year Aqualung came out like 73, I was 11 and they played this on the hi-fi 2X a day for the whole summer. At 11 Aqualung was the one song I always remember the words to. Come on those lyrics are crazy...... looking at girls spitting out parts of his lung. For me we never really could totally figure out what the song is about even though you can hear every word. Then you have his picture on the cover which kind of brings the whole thing to life. You figure even though those guys (Tull} where older than us they saw this demented deranged guy and wrote a song about him. The flute has the best vibe. I have an old copy that I break out every so often.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there is a limit to the greatness of any rock band featuring a flute (or a flautist!). I prefer Thick As A Brick anyway.

You'd better not be insulting Genesis or King Crimson.
wink.gif

I honestly think rock needs more flutes.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should be rated in the top 10 Rock songs. IT is honestly one of the most brilliant songs ever written. But that's just my opinion

Aqualung sounds incredible on my set-up. Never thought I would hear such a difference in non-metal music.

Jul 3, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thick as a Brick came out and that changed my idea of what an album should be. From that point on, I was a lifelong prog. rock fan. The Moody Blues, Genesis, Camel, Floyd-pre WYWH, Nektar, Uriah Heep, Mr. Zappa, Jefferson Airplane, Mike Oldfield.....anything I could get my hands on. But it all started with Aqualung.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd better not be insulting Genesis or King Crimson.
wink.gif

Music from my high school and college days. Part of my music DNA.

Aqualung is a great album. Ian Anderson is very talented. Had the pleasure of seeing him perform. One of the ten best of all time? maybe not. But a great album none-the-less.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #25 of 32
Ya, seeing Tull in concert in the 70's was one of the biggys for me. Aqualung top ten, hmmm. Personal taste. See I liked alot of their stuff not only that. In fact I still will hear myself in certain situations saying "all of this and some of that's the only way to skin the cat". --A Passion Play.

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #26 of 32
I like A Passion Play and Songs From The Wood more-so than Aqualung, TaaB, or Mistrel, probably due to the zaniness. And like others, I was not around for that era. Some folks have passed, and some I've been lucky enough to see [size=xx-small](James Brown, FI, even as an old guy, was out of this world--there's good reason nobody tried to contradict his self-imposed haughty titles!)[/size]. I'd go to see the current iteration of Ian Anderson and folks in a heartbeat, too.

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe top 10 for its lyrics, though. Some of the most classic phrases in rockdome, eg. "...snot running down his nose, greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes," "spitting out pieces of his broken luck," among others. These just come to mind cause I'm always singing them to myself.

I just catch myself singing Close to the Edge.

Aug 23, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #28 of 32
Could anyone post a link to the definitive release of Aqualung currently for sale?

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #29 of 32
Jethro Tull - Aqualung - Classic Records

This is considered to be a very good release according to the reviews i've read...i'm evaluating to buy one even if the copy i have is in near mint condition and sounds perfect.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #30 of 32
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back