Jesus and Mary Chain
Feb 13, 2006 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Embio

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure if this is the right place, but you head-fi lot are a knowledgeable bunch and I couldnt find a forum relating to Jesus and Mary Chain (1985-1998 Scottish indie band). I was looking through my local record store today and found the 1987 Darklands single still in its shrinkwrap. I was wondering if this would be worth anything before I open it and listen to it. Its the 'special edition' gatefold version.

Feb 14, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 22
its the 7"... ah well, I decided to open it anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks

Feb 16, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 22
great band Jesus and Mary Chain was... i think i'll listen to Psychocandy if i can find it! haven't listened to them in quite a while.

oh, and how perfect was the ending to Lost In Translation with "Just Like Honey" playing in the background?
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
oh, and how perfect was the ending to Lost In Translation with "Just Like Honey" playing in the background?
biggrin.gif

yes! even better than "fight club" ending with the pixies' "where is my mind".

embio, that darklands single might not have a lot of collector's value, but anything by the reid brothers is "almost gold".

oh, and their sunglasses! you have to be scott-ish to really appreciate those
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 22
i saw The Jesus and Mary Chain when i was in high school... they played the whole show with their backs to the audience.

some folks were pissed, throwing crap at them and booing.

maybe i was just excited to be there, but i thought it was great.

Feb 16, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
great band Jesus and Mary Chain was... i think i'll listen to Psychocandy if i can find it! haven't listened to them in quite a while.

biggrin.gif

yep, love it.

When I think JMC, I think I wanna die just like Jesus Christ.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
i saw The Jesus and Mary Chain when i was in high school... they played the whole show with their backs to the audience.

some folks were pissed, throwing crap at them and booing.

maybe i was just excited to be there, but i thought it was great.

I saw them here in NYC for their Munki release. They just obviously didn't have their stuff together, stopping in the middle of three songs to play over again. It was also obvious too that that band members didn't like each other. It was a painful thing to watch, because they were such a great band.

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #14 of 22
I thought I was the only one on the planet who ever heard of that band!

Great stuff; I'm going to have to buy the music again. (I'm one of those morons who tossed all his vinyl when cassettes took over the market, and I can't stand listening to caseettes anymore. And they break. I have to buy everything I used to love all over again).

I remember when Jesus & the Mary Chain hit College Radio, it grabbed me immediately. Other favorites from that particular moment in my listening history were Public Image Limited and the Black Crowes; also Smithereens...I forgot about all of that music. Hanging out here is going to cost me a fortune, just in re-buying stuff I used to own!
580smile.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #15 of 22
can't let somebody mention PiL without putting in my 2¢. they're my fav group (at least 1st issue, metal box, flowers of romance). peel session of "poptones" is the pinnacle, IMO. anyone here compared CD and LP versions of metal box?

\slightlyofftopic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back