Jennifer Connelly on a Pier
May 9, 2009 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Calexico

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry this is completely random, but I watched these three movies in rapid succession, and I couldn't help but laugh in these quite serious movies!

Requiem for a Dream
requiemforadream.png

Dark City
darkcity.png

House of Sand and Fog
houseofsandandfog.png

It's like a running Hollywood joke or something. Or Jennifer Connelly just looks great near the beach
smily_headphones1.gif
(but then again she looks great everywhere). Btw these 3 movies are all great.

May 9, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 19
Nice catch!
smily_headphones1.gif

it is like Harrison Ford getting beat up in every movie, or Tom Cruise running, or Matthew McConnehey sucking

May 9, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 19
lol I never noticed that before. Nice. It's either a crazy coincedence or some kind of secret Hollywood conspiracy theory O_O

Which one is your fave and why?

May 9, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 19
None of these are the same pier. Look at the wood used on the fence.

Dark City is definitely not the same pier. Look at the rails in the first one - they are outside of the boardwalk. In the second picture they are at least a foot IN the boardwalk.

Also, there are no lamp posts in the third picture, and at the end of the pier it appears to branch off to the right. The first picture is just straight.

May 9, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dark City is definitely not the same pier. Look at the rails in the first one - they are outside of the boardwalk. In the second picture they are at least a foot IN the boardwalk.

Also, there are no lamp posts in the third picture, and at the end of the pier it appears to branch off to the right. The first picture is just straight.

All very correct, but the girl on the end is the same, and I think that was the point Calexico was getting at. But very well spotted, I'm totally jealous.

From here:

"In three of her movies (Dark City (1998), Requiem for a Dream (2000), and House of Sand and Fog (2003)), she appears standing at the end of a pier in a striking image. All three directors created the shots for different reasons, and they are not an homage or reference to each other, just an unlikely coincidence."

Best regards
Watson

May 9, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Lol, the point is that Jennifer Connelly is on a pier in 3 movies, not that she is standing on x pier in all 3 movies.

As for my favorite... that's very hard. Each of them appealed to me in a different way. Requiem was the most intense and probably the "best" but the least enjoyable. House of Sand and Fog was the most enjoyable because I felt more of a relationship with the characters. Dark City was the most interesting but also a bit more convoluted than the other 2 movies.

I think House of Sand and Fog was my favorite, then Dark City and Requiem for a Dream at about equal. If you are in the right mood and mindset though, Requiem for a Dream is a very striking experience.

May 9, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 19
Lol, wow that's quite an interesting... coincidence, for lack of a better word. I only saw Requiem, but probably wouldn't have noticed it even if I had seen the others.

I wonder what she must have been thinking doing these scenes? Like, "what is it with these writers? Can't they come up with anything original?" Or maybe paranoid, like "are they trying to tell me something... like jump?"
tongue.gif

May 9, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Love the quote from Requiem For A Dream: "I know it's pretty baby, but I didn't take it out for air."

LOL. nice. Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was a dark and stormy night.

LOL #2

Thanks for the snippet, limpidglitch. Even cooler that it's a total cuwinkydink.

I think my favorite might be House Of Sand And Fog as well.What did you mean by relationship with the characters? I think that movie, like American Beauty and Crash, was to show that regular people can do terrible things given certain situations and life events, but that we are also all "human" in the other way -- love, beauty, compassion wisdom etc. Also I like that this movie shows that making assumptions can have unintended massive effects, how important are choices we make are, and how profound of an effect simple things can have -- perspective and state of mind (culture, past experience etc). But, that being said, I wouldn't call any of thew characters "likeable" per se. They were all "broken" in one way or another, and while they are probably relatable (at least some of them) being "normal people" for the most part, I think a relationship to the character would, for me, essentially mean that you can see where they're coming from in a larger sense. At the same time, you have the perspective and ability to see the stupidity of some of their actions, the fact that some (or all) of their actions get them into the place or places that they come to be in, and the choices they make that could, depending on your point of view, negate their wisdom/compassion/etc. If you couldn't tell I like this kind of movie
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: My faves.. I don't know. I think they all tie. House is great for the above, Dark City is great for a creepy, gothic scifi suspense (and a unique movie experience IMO), and Requiem is great for its visceral impact and 'shocking' material. Requiem to me is like Fight Club without the philosophy. Good times

Users who are viewing this thread

Back