Jellyfish - any suggestions?
May 30, 2008 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

djembeplay

100+ Head-Fier
I want to pick up a couple nice after-market power cables without breaking the bank.

I was about to buy a pair of Iron Lung Jellyfish cables for about $45, which is the max that I would want to spend.

I figured I would check to make sure this is a good choice or if there is something drastically superior for the same or lower price.

May 30, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by djembeplay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to pick up a couple nice after-market power cables without breaking the bank.

I was about to buy a pair of Iron Lung Jellyfish cables for about $45, which is the max that I would want to spend.

I figured I would check to make sure this is a good choice or if there is something drastically superior for the same or lower price.

Go to audioadvisor.com and search for parasound...

They have a close-out special on their 12 gauge powercords. $29 for 6ft. Jellyfish is good but only 14 guage and for the same price/length.

Get them while they're available.

May 30, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 9
Cool, thanks guys.

I think I'll just go with the Jellyfish then. If I buy 2 they are $23 each... not too bad.

The only reason I know about these, actually, is that 22 cord shoot-out. I sifted through and compared the less expensive ones yesterday.

I checked the audioadvisor ones... They look nice, but they have no mention in the cord shoot-out, which is what I'm basing my info on.

Also, he said in the shoot-out that he thinks wire gauge makes zero difference b/c headphone amps and DACs draw so little current to begin with. He said it's actually possible that a thicker gauge wire has a negative effect at some point... So, idk... If you guys think the Jellyfish is a good option, I'll just do that I think.

May 30, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by djembeplay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool, thanks guys.

I think I'll just go with the Jellyfish then. If I buy 2 they are $23 each... not too bad.

The only reason I know about these, actually, is that 22 cord shoot-out. I sifted through and compared the less expensive ones yesterday.

I checked the audioadvisor ones... They look nice, but they have no mention in the cord shoot-out, which is what I'm basing my info on.

Also, he said in the shoot-out that he thinks wire gauge makes zero difference b/c headphone amps and DACs draw so little current to begin with. He said it's actually possible that a thicker gauge wire has a negative effect at some point... So, idk... If you guys think the Jellyfish is a good option, I'll just do that I think.

I am not sure by your posts if you find a retailer for the JFs but if not try Paul at--

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/ILJPOWER.html
he is very responsive and easy to deal with.

May 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 9
If you are interested in another option, I have a Volex 17604 link that is 14awg and shielded. While some have argued that shielding lowers music quality, I can only think it helps it. Not just in keeping the power clean, but lowering EMI and RFI for the rest of the system. Finally they are a really nice price and good build.

Just something to consider. I would like to try a jellyfish sometime, though.

Jun 1, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 9
In the price range you've mentioned, the ILJF and the Volex 17604 are pretty much the markl-reviewed, and generally well-received, choices. As markl stated in his review, getting good results means matching the unit being powered with the PC. If you try the ILJF and you notice that it does not seem to be a good match for your unit, the Volex is another inexpensive (and complementary) one to try. I've used both, and there are audio units on which I prefer each.

A rule of thumb with the Volex PC's that I've read (and that I agree with) is: shielded for digital units, unshielded for analog units. For a DAC (containing both digital and analog components), I personally preferred the shielded Volex PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back