Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds SACD - comments?
Jul 13, 2005 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

badmonkey

100+ Head-Fier
Riding on the back of the movie, Jeff Wayne has re-released his musical War of the Worlds in a 5.1 mix SACD (combo with regular CD).

Anyone heard this new mix?

I have the old CD, but apparently they've relayered it all and it sounds like it'd be worth swapping, even if just for the new regular CD version (don't yet have an SACD player).

Comments?

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 12
Haven't picked it up yet -- want to get the fancy 7-disc package (this was one of my favourite albums from that era) -- three discs of outtakes! One (disposable) disk of remixes (which I've heard, and sucks), and a DVD! (of the making of)

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 12
Unholy carp, this is completely over-the-top. I got the 7-disk version. It comes in a huge (love the cover artwork) 12" square box. Contains 2 SA-CD's (that's the way they write it for some reason -- perhaps to underline the fact that it has a redbook CD layer), a DVD, and 4 regular redbook CD's. Expansive booklet.

And I forgot how much I love this album. Nearly brought me to tears all over again.

I listened to the 2-channel DSD layer. I don't hear the differences that the people on that AA thread did -- it's still mostly faithful to the mix with which I'm familiar.

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by badmonkey
Dusty Chalk, do you have the old CD to compare it to?

Not handy, sorry.

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
I am very tempted to pick this up but I've never heard this recording before (although I've seen the original film).

Well, I should warn -- it's nothing like the movie. It's more of an audio adaptation of the book. As a musical. Very 70's.

Jul 25, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 12
I've actually heard some good reviews of the MCH mix since this thread started, so I'd say if you are interested it might be worth a listen.

I think I'll pick it up just out of curiosity; I never heard this when it first came out. Must not have done well in the states?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back