Jeff Buckley's Guitar & Grace Legacy Edition
Sep 6, 2004 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kaiwei

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been thinking and trying to find out, just exactly what kind of guitar does Jeff Buckley plays? Is it acoustic, classical(don't think so) or electric? On the Twelfth of Never & Calling You I can swear it's electric but on the other songs it doesn't sound like it. The best I could come up with is that it's electric with steel strings. Am I right? Please tell me!

Also, is it worth buying the new Grace Legacy Edition if I already have Live At Sin-e Legacy Edition? The track listing doesn't seems to have anything new.

Thanks!

Live at Sin-é
TRACKLISTING

DISC ONE
Be Your Husband
Lover, You Should Have Come Over
Mojo Pin
Duane Eddey, Song For Lovers
Grace
Reverb, The Doors
Strange Fruit
(written by Lewis Allen)
Night Flight
(written by Led Zeppelin)
If You Knew
(written by Nina Simone)
Fabulous Time For A Guinness
Unforgiven (Last Goodbye)
Twelve Of Never
Cafe Days
Eternal Life
Eternal Life
Just Like A Woman
(written by Bob Dylan)
False Start/Calling You, Apology, Miles Davis
Calling You

DISC TWO
He's Hot, He's my Elvis
Yeh Jo Halka Halk Saroor Hai
(written by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan)
I'm a ridiculous person
If You See Her Say Hello
(written by Bob Dylan)
Dink's Song
Matt Dillon, Hollies, Classic Rock Radio
Dink's Song
Musical Chairs
Drown In My Own Tears
(written by Henry Glover)
The Suckiest Water
The Way Young Lovers Do
(written by Van Morrisson)
Walk Through Walls
Je N'en Connais Pas La Fin
I Shall Be Released
(written by Bob Dylan)
Sweet Thing
(written by Van Morrisson)
Good Night, Bill
Hallelujah
(written by Leonard Cohen)

Sep 7, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 20
On the DVD of Live at Sin E', he is playing an electric (Fender Strat I seem to recall). I did not see the entire DVD, but I know he does also play acoustic at times.

Sep 7, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 20
My guess is he plays a quite a few different instruments, as most guitarists do. Just witness any rock band and you might see the guitarist switch out models for each song.

Also the tracklist you posted is the Live at Sin-E tracklist, which you said you own. The Grace legacy edition has the original album and one disc of bonus material. I think it was worth what I paid for it, and the DVD has a lot more content than the Sin-E legacy edition disc had.

Sep 9, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 20
I've got this on order from Amazon.com (don't forget the Head-Fi link on page 1), and I'm looking forward to hearing the new stuff. I'm also interested to hear whether the remastering makes a big difference. The original was quite nice, but a bit bright for my taste.

Sep 14, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 20
Well, it just arrived today. I've only had a couple of minutes to listen - my two favorite tracks, "Hallelujah" and "Lover You Should Have Come Over". First impressions - it's not as bright as the original release. There's a LOT more detail, and it's a lot more open and natural-sounding. I like it!!
k1000smile.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 20
I've had an opportunity to listen to most of the first CD now. It's very, very good. The difference in sound quality is significant....I like it!!! More on the other discs later.

Oct 8, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 20
Finally picked this one up. Sound quality is a slight step forward, not necessarily a revelation. But if you have fallen under this amazing album's spell, this minor improvement is well worthwhile. Truly one of the best of the 90s, and a stark reminder of what might have been...

The extras are actually compelling for the most part on this, which for me is a rarity on these expanded editions. Haven't yet watched the DVD but really looking forward to it.

Oct 8, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Finally picked this one up. Sound quality is a slight step forward, not necessarily a revelation. But if you have fallen under this amazing album's spell, this minor improvement is well worthwhile. Truly one of the best of the 90s, and a stark reminder of what might have been...

The extras are actually compelling for the most part on this, which for me is a rarity on these expanded editions. Haven't yet watched the DVD but really looking forward to it.

got it today too , I'm a long date fan of this singer .

I find the new release a lot less bright sounding ( which I'm not into by now ) , and maybe a bit more details too
what to say ...

I've taken it mainly for the DVD that's in and not for the extra tracks .
The original Grace album can easy live by itself period without re-edition ,as it is an original work of art from a very talented poet-singer .

Oct 8, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 20
The Legacy edition is very appealing , eye catchy and well made ( from look to contents ) and definitely well worth the price .

Disc two is more for fans who want every bit released from the singer then for the occasional listener and rock lover .
If you liked grace you'd better go on with Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk , which i love in every part , and which contains some rough and demoing materials ..

Still have to watch the DVD as I'm keeping myself from , to enjoy it in the right moment

Oct 9, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #14 of 20
The producer, Andy Wallace, set-up three separate soundstages for the recording of 'Grace' - a full on electric set, a quieter combination of acoustic and electric and a little folk-club style stage (which could perhaps explain why the same guitar sounds different on different tracks). You can hear the different ambience and even the hum of the Marshall amps on some tracks...

On each stage, Buckley would experiment with the sound, playing various instruments - harmonium, tabla, organ, dulcimer... and of course guitar and vocal.

... However, even after recording had been completed, the album took months to mix with Buckley constantly tinkering until he felt he could tweak no more!

Fantastic album. Truely legendary.

Oct 11, 2004 at 2:05 AM Post #15 of 20
I've been on a major Buckley listening binge lately. I just listened to Live at Sin e the other day, and was struck at what a great improvisational performer he was. What a talent...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back