Jecklin Float Model 1 arrived today!
Apr 21, 2004 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

arnett

Consigliere
Man, it only took 6 days for my Jecklin Float Model 1 to arrive from Australia ([size=medium]HOPE![/size] [size=xx-small]The bladder trouble getting better . . . [/size][size=medium]LOVE! EWAN![/size]
tongue.gif
).

They look exactly like the Model 2 as featured in the recent thread on the now invisible certifiably inane board. Here's the picture from that CI thread:
09imm021.jpg

My Model 1 arrived in perfect condition. They’re NOS with the original box and the plug was very oxidized. A little DeOxit and it sounds fine. There’s no date of manufacture on the headphone or the box but I’m guessing late 80s?

Anyway, these things sound pretty good. Like many older phones, they don’t have a piercing treble. I agree that they may sound somewhat ‘dull’ compared to modern phones (not a bad thing, IMO). But vocal reverb decay is much more apparent than on my Beyer DT-770 pro. Midrange is much more forward than what I’m used to with the Beyer. Bass is actually slightly better than expected. I wouldn’t really call them bass-lite (at least compared to most phones I’ve heard). Still, bass is not as deep or as slamming as I’m used to (not surprising given their design).They’re also comfortable as hell (they’re not at all loose on my medium-sized head), and the cord is surprisingly thick.

I haven’t heard the K1000s in a while, but I think the Jecklin Float Model 1 is a more conventional-sounding headphone. I also think the Model 1 is a bit warmer and more bassy than the K1000.

I‘m impressed so far – but keep in mind that I find most audiophile headphones too bright. Hell, these phones were worth it just as a conversation piece! I’m planning on putting a chin strap on these so I can play football and listen to music at the same time.
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 41
At first I thought this was a joke. Those are some seriously ugly headphones. Early NFL leftovers with speakers in them. Make sure to post a picture of you wearing them. (If you dare.)

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
At first I thought this was a joke. Those are some seriously ugly headphones. Early NFL leftovers with speakers in them. Make sure to post a picture of you wearing them. (If you dare.)

No, I’m not joking! I actually kind of like the look of these things (I know, I’m sick
tongue.gif
).

I don't have a digital camera, but I’m heading to Indy this weekend to visit friends and they have a digital camera. Maybe I’ll post some picks this weekend.

Now, if we only had a Jecklin Float smilie . . .
blink.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 41
Whoa!

Those are some U G L Y headphones...

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnett
No, I’m not joking! I actually kind of like the look of these things (I know, I’m sick
tongue.gif
).

I don't have a digital camera, but I’m heading to Indy this weekend to visit friends and they have a digital camera. Maybe I’ll post some picks this weekend.

Now, if we only had a Jecklin Float smilie . . .

blinkJF.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 41
Those are some BIG phones. Are these the electrostatic ones?

To heck with the phones, what a great view out the window!

Apr 22, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 41
Wow. Those are one pair of headphones that I would dewfinetly not wear.

Apr 22, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I hope you got the shirt included, it is truly a special one of a kind combo!
eek.gif

Of course the pen and pocket protector are included.

Apr 22, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I hope you got the shirt included, it is truly a special one of a kind combo!
eek.gif

Yeah, I’m searching the thrift stores this weekend.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeseboisse
blinkJF.gif

Cool! Thanks, reeseboisse.
cool.gif

Man, these phones are really rolled off in the treble. Vinyl surface noise is almost non-existent. Still, the soundstage is pretty wide and there is nice ‘air’ around vocals and instruments.

Right now I’m listening to an original pressing of the Devo Freedom of Choice LP. I thought it was fitting with the floats.
tongue.gif

B000002KLC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Apr 22, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 41
Congrats!
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnett
Man, these phones are really rolled off in the treble. Vinyl surface noise is almost non-existent. Still, the soundstage is pretty wide and there is nice ‘air’ around vocals and instruments.

Hmmm. Like I said before, not my cup o' tea. Also like I mentioned before, maybe they just are really picky to drive. I, personally, found them very closed and dark to my tastes (like you say).

That trait, though, for some cans is just indicative of a dramatic impedence mismatch. Maybe a lot more power, matched, might be the cure that those things need. Do you have access to try out a few different amps?

Apr 22, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #14 of 41
there was somebody selling a model 2 but UK only. i would've tried them just for the insanity factor. this thing looks geeky and i love it.

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
I, personally, found them very closed and dark to my tastes (like you say).

Well, I happen to like dark-sounding headphones. Most head-fiers, however, seem to recoil at the thought of a headphone being dark. So I’m hesitant to give the Jecklin Float Model 1my recommendation here. Still, I like 'em. The Floats passed my harshness torture test with flying colors.

I have noticed that I can get a lot more treble by positioning them differently on my head. They also seem to be loosening up a bit which effectuates a repositioning.

blinkJF.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back