Jecklin Float 2 Project!!
Jun 10, 2003 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

london luke

100+ Head-Fier
At last my second pair of floats arrived today. £50.00.

Very good condition except the old foam has gone in places!!

Well it would after all these years!!

Anyway like most ....... out came the screwdriver to have a look inside.

Took off the front and rear horrid foam and did a great job replacing them( I say it myself!!). Next to source some new foam sections to replace the "Spacer" ones that sit behind the ear. I'm going to place with some foam ( all of it is high grade audio type) inside the Speaker shell.... its like a large plastic enclosure... with no damping.

The cable looks good quality . But fancy a real pro type !! Any ideas???

I know they look like a electric chair job.... But if you havent listened to a good set with a good amp (Im going with a Pink Floyd project) with "X feed".

They dont pump..but boy do they sing.

Jun 12, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 5
I have a pair.

They are really good sounding phones, very balanced top to bottom. They also work really well with tubes (CPX3). Very, very comfortable.

Where did you find another pair?

Jun 12, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 5
I had two pairs of the electrostatic Floats more than 20 years ago. I liked their sound, unfortunately they both became defective and I finally sold them to a guy who called them "Head Quads."

My recollection is that the electrostatic transducers were about 4X4 inches which means 16 Sq Inches a side, surely a record for a headphone transducer.

I think that the design, while clunky, makes good sense acoustically and I wish that this design was still being made as an electrostatic.

Are you going to run them off an amp or transformer?

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 5
Hi

Mine will be run of The "Chiarra" Amp when I get it built!! That pink floyd has been posting about.... It looks good.

Mine been the passive float 2's..heard the same about the electros dying and not sounding that good.

My main concern is the empty plastic section that the speaker sits in....... Cannot realy be an ideal enclosure!! But thanks to the easy eay these phones are constructed... I can get access within 1 min!!

Vocals are out of this world

luke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back