JDSLabs O2/ODAC gain options for HD650's
Aug 16, 2014 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

faffi

New Head-Fier
Hey All,

Just bought a pair of HD650's and I'm set on an O2/ODAC combo, seem to be a safe bet. Last time I did research, there was only a single option for the JDSLabs O2/ODAC combo, now they have customizable gain options of standard (2.5x, 6.5x), medium (1x, 3.5x) and low (1x, 2.5x).

Which would pair 'best' with the 650's? I'd assume a 1x option is kinda just like passthrough since it wouldn't really be amplifying? Would they ever require 6.5x gain?

Thanks!

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 6
Unless you use source with low output, or you will be using O2 with battery or very inefficient headphone(HE-6) or combination of above, you don't need 6.5x

Medium(1x, 3.5x) or low(1x, 2x) will be more than sufficient.

I use my HD800 with 1x only and almost never of over 11 o'clock on volume knob even with quiet classical recording.

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Unless you use source with low output, or you will be using O2 with battery or very inefficient headphone(HE-6) or combination of above, you don't need 6.5x

Medium(1x, 3.5x) or low(1x, 2x) will be more than sufficient.

I use my HD800 with 1x only and almost never of over 11 o'clock on volume knob even with quiet classical recording.

Thanks for the reply, am I right in assuming that 1x doesn't amplify at all? Or is it an "arbitrary" 1x amplification as per the standard of the O2?

Just received the headphones and I need to crank volume on my MBP to max in order to get it loud enough, which I kind of expected.

Aug 19, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #6 of 6
The lowest gain setting can be used with IEMs too. The highest I've ever had to go with comparable phones is 11-12 o'clock on "high" 2.5 gain. But I listen at very low volumes. So I think the medium gain option would be your best choice, unless you listen at very low or very high volumes. That's what it really comes down to. Best luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back