JDS Labs O2 amp won't connect to Yamaha receiver
Jan 19, 2015 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bwr827

New Head-Fier
The O2 is my first headphone amp, and I want it to take sound from my Yamaha V673 receiver, which is receiving HDMI from my home theatre PC.

Here's the back of the Yamaha:

I have a stereo RCA to 3.5mm cable connected to the O2, and I've tried all of the RCA outs I can see on the Yamaha (the ones highlighted in white, not including the subwoofer one obviously). I get no sound to the O2.

I'm probably doing something wrong here; I've tried searching around, but most headphone amp advice relates to other source devices, not home theatre receivers.

Any help is much appreciated!

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 8
Does the O2 work with other sources? For example, if you plug your phone's headphone jack into the O2, does that work? If it does, then I think the question is more about how to get the Yamaha receiver to output sound. Is the manual for that receiver online?

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 8
  The O2 is my first headphone amp, and I want it to take sound from my Yamaha V673 receiver, which is receiving HDMI from my home theatre PC.

Here's the back of the Yamaha:

I have a stereo RCA to 3.5mm cable connected to the O2, and I've tried all of the RCA outs I can see on the Yamaha (the ones highlighted in white, not including the subwoofer one obviously). I get no sound to the O2.
I'm probably doing something wrong here; I've tried searching around, but most headphone amp advice relates to other source devices, not home theatre receivers.
Any help is much appreciated!

Why even connect an external headphone amplifier to the Yamaha?
I found my RX-V671 did a decent job driving most headphones.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 8
PurpleAngel, I've never used a headphone amp before, and wanted to test for myself if it makes a significant difference for my Beyerdynamic DT990s. So many comments emphasize the importance of a dedicated amp for headphones of this calibre, so I want to know if I'm missing anything. It is true that the DT990s are very enjoyable direct from my Yahama receiver.

I've tried the O2 with my smartphone and the DT990s, and they sound great with music, but I can't compare that effectively with a movie outputted from my HTPC to my receiver.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 8
Yes. Did you check your manual? Might be you need to set the input source for one/some of those audio outs.

Also, some receivers used to block incoming digital being sent out through any analog outs to prevent recording of the audio. I have no idea if that's the case for your receiver or not, but if so, it might say in the manual.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 8
Yes. Did you check your manual? Might be you need to set the input source for one/some of those audio outs.

Also, some receivers used to block incoming digital being sent out through any analog outs to prevent recording of the audio. I have no idea if that's the case for your receiver or not, but if so, it might say in the manual.

Thanks for the suggestion! I never considered that I might have to set the input for a particular output. I'll check out the settings menu later.

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 8
  PurpleAngel, I've never used a headphone amp before, and wanted to test for myself if it makes a significant difference for my Beyerdynamic DT990s. So many comments emphasize the importance of a dedicated amp for headphones of this calibre, so I want to know if I'm missing anything. It is true that the DT990s are very enjoyable direct from my Yamaha receiver.

I've tried the O2 with my smartphone and the DT990s, and they sound great with music, but I can't compare that effectively with a movie outputted from my HTPC to my receiver.

When you use an external headphone amplifier connected to the analog RCA outputs on the receiver, your bypassing Silent Cinema, Yamaha's own headphone surround sound technology.
Good luck, sometimes it can be a little difficult getting an external headphone amplifier, to work off the RCA outputs of a receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back