JDS LABS ELEMENT vs SCHIIT MODI 2 + MAGNI (UBER)
Sep 19, 2016 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

shenanbay

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys ,

I am pretty new to the high end audio game. I have a pair of Sony MDR-1As paired with a SCHIIT FULLA. I realized how much of a difference these audio gear make for good music. 

I want to get a pair of HiFIMAN - HE400i and I was thinking of getting a better DAC & AMP. I have been looking at different options and I came across the following,

1. JDS Labs Element $350
  2. SCHIIT magni 2 + modi 2 (UBER) $350 after shipping

I am trying to get you guys' opinion on which one to get. Also open for any other suggestions in the sub $400 category for DAC+AMP combo or separate

thanks 

Oct 12, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 16
Open back mid tier HP.
HE400i and DT1990 PRO are my favorites for now. I need power to drive them so Schiit uber stack, Audio gd NFB-11, The Element... not sure.
I know I can go for something futureproof spending a few more bucks, but for what I have now (ATX-M50x) os a pretty big gap.

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 16
I am looking for a setup and only want to buy once to pair with Sennheiser HD 700

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 16
I think the JDS Labs Element​ and Jotunheim​ are fantastic choices for entry-mid segment. Both have plenty of power and sound great. You'd have to get an amp pushing $1,000 to do better than those two IMO. Those are literally my only two recommends for anyone in the $200-800 price range.

Remember the headphone are by FAR the thing that makes the most difference to quality reproduction of sound. Focus your budget there if you can.

Oct 12, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #8 of 16
Yes that's what I was thinking too. Are the he400i good headphones for that price range? I could do about $500 for headphones. What would you recommend for that price range?? Thanks
I think the JDS Labs Element​ and Jotunheim​ are fantastic choices for entry-mid segment. Both have plenty of power and sound great. You'd have to get an amp pushing $1,000 to do better than those two IMO. Those are literally my only two recommends for anyone in the $200-800 price range.

Remember the headphone are by FAR the thing that makes the most difference to quality reproduction of sound. Focus your budget there if you can.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 16
Well, you'll get more input options from the Schiit setup, so if you want to use it with anything other than a computer, that pretty much beats out the Element by default. Unfortunately, I haven't heard either setup, so I can't comment on the audio quality specifically.

I was in the same boat as you not long ago and ended up getting a Modi Multibit and a Garage1217 Project Ember II, which might be a bit spendier than what you're looking for ($600+ shipping), but I'm very satisfied with it FWIW.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #10 of 16

I'm debating between the HE400i and the new Beyer DT1990 PRO that I was lucky to try.

I see that we are aiming to the same gear :) I'm still saving money though...

Jotunheim is 499$ + shipment with DAC, yet I think the 200$ more than the uber stack is worthy. But that would mean around 1000$ Headphones + DAC/Amp...

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #11 of 16
Garage1217 Project Polaris shouldn't be ignored in this price range either. Fantastic sounding amp, extremely versatile, solid pricing and sounds incredible with the 400i's and Beyers. I would take a Modi Multi and Polaris combination over the Magni and Element with out hesitation. Haven't tried the Jot yet so can't speak to that.

Garage1217 and Schiit are always on the top of my lists for suggestions for beginning gear. Value for the dollar is top notch, Made in the US, great warranty and decent re-sale when you wanna upgrade.

As for the 400i's vs 1990's, 2 totally different cans I'd think. Listen to both and decide on that and what works within your budget. 400i can be bought used for WAY cheaper than the 1990, which is still pretty new and not as available on the used market.

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 16
Yes I have had Garage1217​ amps they are also a great buy, I find them a little more dependent on the headphones they are paired with whereas the other 2 I mentioned above seem to just work with everything.

As to the headphones in the $500 range. That's so tough, it really depends on what kind of sound signature you want. To tell you the truth, the HE560 can be had for like $525 in the US all the time in our for sale section and that's about the best headphone you can get under $800 IMO new or used.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 16

Have the uber stack, the element, jotunheim enough power to drive the HE560?

The 560 isn't terribly hard to drive. The Element, Jotunheim (at the single-ended out),  and uber stack are all about 1watt at the HE560's 45 Ohm impedance which is more than plenty. There are very, very few headphones on the market that need/want more than that to sound their best.

The Jotunheim out of the balanced output is about 3.0(!) watt which is just crazy for headphones when most everything out there is fine with 300-450mW. I guess you could call that future-proofing.

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #15 of 16

The 560 isn't terribly hard to drive. The Element, Jotunheim (at the single-ended out),  and uber stack are all about 1watt at the HE560's 45 Ohm impedance which is more than plenty. There are very, very few headphones on the market that need/want more than that to sound their best.

The Jotunheim out of the balanced output is about 3.0(!) watt which is just crazy for headphones when most everything out there is fine with 300-450mW. I guess you could call that future-proofing.

I tried both DT1990 PRO (250 Ohm) and the HE560 (45 Ohm) out of a HDVD 800 and the HE560 were much more quiet at the same volume level.

Isn't the planar magnetic way more difficult to drive than dynamic ones even with lower impedances?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back