JDS Labs Atom in combo with integrated onboard DAC?
Jan 25, 2020 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Windforce0511

New Head-Fier
Hi

I just decided to buy external AMP and I will order JDS Labs Atom, even if my onboard audio have two op-amps and can drive my Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250ohm really loud. This is only because you guys always telling how good external AMP can improve listening experience. :)

Now when I am waiting for AMP to arrive, I'm wondering if my onboard DAC will provide quality enough signal to Atom AMP.

My motherboard (MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon) has audio section that is physically isolated from the rest of the motherboard circuitry with separated audio layers for left & right channel featuring EMI-shielded audio processor with built-in DAC ( 120dB SNR / 32-bit, supports DSD Super Audio CD playback & recording etc etc).

I've never had a problem with my onboard DAC. It has ZERO hissing and background noise.

What do you guys think if it will be good enough to use it in combo with JDS Labs Atom or should I aim for external DAC... ?

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 15
Imo, it’s not like the Atom will perform Bad with the onboard dac. But that doesn’t mean it will perform better with a quality external dac :D

I’d say, go for the atom, and if you feel you want to try out an external dac, do so. But you don’t have to do it Now.
Save it for when you want to try something new. Or hey, save the dac money for another pair of headphones later on.
And if/when you get something mor high end, invest in a dac.

I’m sure you’ll be happy with the Atom!

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 15
So your motherboard uses the Realtek ALC1220 DSP chip for the DAC function.

Me, I would have replaced the DT990, before but the headphone amplifier.

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 15
I just bought the headphones and I will not replace them in any near future.
ALC1220 DSP - is it okay?
There are motherboards with about the same audio functions (hardware), as yours, but also come with a separate add-on DAC chip.
So a decent chance an external add-on DAC ( USB or S/PDIF (optical or coaxial), would improve the audio quality, just not sure by how much, maybe $100 or more?).

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 15
Imo, it’s not like the Atom will perform Bad with the onboard dac. But that doesn’t mean it will perform better with a quality external dac :D

I’d say, go for the atom, and if you feel you want to try out an external dac, do so. But you don’t have to do it Now.
Save it for when you want to try something new. Or hey, save the dac money for another pair of headphones later on.
And if/when you get something mor high end, invest in a dac.

I’m sure you’ll be happy with the Atom!

OMG this is unreal. The sound coming from headphones is brutal after I connected them to Atom AMP. Now I can say that I have low end. xD

Jan 26, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 15
Jan 26, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 15
I also just purchased a JDS Atom and incase you will push through with an external DAC, the following are the good external DACS i've read about during my research:

Topping D10 / D30 (I chose the D10 - $80, its black and its newer than the D30 which is $100)
Khadas Tone Board (you need to assemble yourself, not for me)
Schiit Modi 3 (previously the favorite with its Magni/Modi combo)
JDS OL Dac (I've read that Topping is better)
Massdrop SDAC (I've read that Topping is better)

Hope this helps. =)

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 15
OMG this is unreal. The sound coming from headphones is brutal after I connected them to Atom AMP. Now I can say that I have low end. xD
Try setting the on-board audio (PC audio control panel) for 2-channel (stereo) and "Speaker" output, it might boost the signal to the Atom.
So turn the volume way down on the Atom and max out the volume controls on the PC, then turn up Atom to desired volume, see how that sounds.

Jan 27, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #12 of 15
Can you still use the volume control in your PC (the one in your keyboard) when you use an external dac/amp connected via usb? I haven't tried this yet and im interested to know.
Yes, I can use windows volume control if using external AMP with integrated DAC. If you also have external DAC then you are bypassing windows volume control

Jan 27, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #13 of 15
Yes, I can use windows volume control if using external AMP with integrated DAC. If you also have external DAC then you are bypassing windows volume control

I kinda got lost there. May i clarify if i got it right.... Are you saying that i CAN use the windows volume control if i am using an “external amp with integrated DAC” but i CANNOT use the windows volume control if i am using an “external amp + external DAC” since i am bypassing the windows volume control?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #14 of 15
I kinda got lost there. May i clarify if i got it right.... Are you saying that i CAN use the windows volume control if i am using an “external amp with integrated DAC” but i CANNOT use the windows volume control if i am using an “external amp + external DAC” since i am bypassing the windows volume control?
You are right :)

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #15 of 15
Nope, an external DAC does not (normally) bypass the main Windows volume control.
It might bypasses the sound card functions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back