JBuds J2 vs. UE Super.fi 3?
Jun 8, 2009 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Acreo Aeneas

100+ Head-Fier
I already own (and have owned) a pair of UE Super.fi 3s since mid-2006. Since I find I'm getting tired of adjusting them to fit more snugly (they feel lose now even with larger tips), the loopy wire is a pain with the slightest upward push on the wire dislocated the buds from my ears, and the pain of unraveling the tangle of wires, I've been looking at some cheaper alternatives (would rather not lose/destory these nice 3s).

So I have been reading the reviews on Amazon of the JBuds J2 and overall they're in the $30 price range I'm looking at, have a nice design and black finish, and also have interchangeable tips. What I can't seem to find is a comparison of it to a Super.fi 3/5 or HD201. I have read that highs are "muted" and it has a mix of opinions as to the quality of the bass response/reproduction.

Does anyone own a J2 and Super.fi 3? Could you tell me how different it is from the Super.fi 3 and what I'm losing (or gaining) by switching to the J2's as my on-the-go 'phones?

Lastly, would you recommend the J2 for me? If not, what would be your recommendation (linky please)?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm hoping to have this purchased within the next two days if possible since I'll be leaving on a month long vacation to Hong Kong next week and wanted to bring a decent cheap pair with me. I figure that I could burn them in before then (or during the flight) if that is needed.

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 13
i don't have the super.fi 3 but i can say this about the jlab

little bass, way too forward mids, next to no treble

you can EQ them into something listenable but there are better options in the same price range

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 13
Jun 8, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 13
With some work the J2's can sound as good as the 3's but something like the Meelec AI-M6 are better sounding and cheaper. MeElectronics Ai-M6 Earphone-M6COLOR Headphones from Overstock.com

The Metro.fi 200's and some of the Altec Metro.fi re-brands(Backbeat models) are also around $25. These are the easier to deal with design.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 13
Thank you for the replies. Looking at the ones you guys suggested. I'll post back if I have more question or if I can't make up my mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

It does sound like the J2s are more work then their worth (was hoping a burn-in would help solve any initial issues).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stasher1
Amazon currently has the Altec Lansing UHP336 on sale for $35 with free shipping.

Sounds like I overpaid for my Super.fi 3s ($97). I'm tempted to purchase it, but also want to try something new too.

Curiously I was reading CNET recommendations and was intriqued by the by the Klipsch Image S4 recommendation. Is the S4 better than my SF3 or more of the same?

Also what about the Sennheiser CX300s? Am I going to experience sound conducted through the cable if I'm walking and the cable is slapping against my chest? Are these more for bassheads?

Jun 10, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 13
Anyone?

Jun 10, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 13
The CX300 is no upgrade in my view, very bass heavy. I bought the UE Metro.Fi 200v on Amazon for $25, and they are a real bargain (though they are an under model to the SF3). However, the MF200v is a newer model, so it could be on par or better. I'll find out soon, cause I ordered a pair of those ALs for $35 as well. Just curious, and at those prices, can afford to be.

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 13
$39 will pick u up a pretty respected Re2 at head-direct. Not the best for bass though.
Super.Fi 3s are pretty over-rated unfortunately. I picked mine up about a year ago and they were alright, probably really good at the time they came out but now there is too much competition...
CX300s won't improve on your SF3 IMHO... unless you just crave bass.
2XL spoke IEMs are getting around at crazy prices, I've heard they're ok.
Haven't heard much about the Klipsch but dang they look sexy!
Radiopaq earphones also have some good press around the UK...

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I think the Klipsch S4 are backordered. Would like to hear them too.

Hmm, didn't notice that until you mentioned it.
floatsmile.png

Oh well I won't able to get the S4s for a while anyways.

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With some work the J2's can sound as good as the 3's but something like the Meelec AI-M6 are better sounding and cheaper. MeElectronics Ai-M6 Earphone-M6COLOR Headphones from Overstock.com

The Metro.fi 200's and some of the Altec Metro.fi re-brands(Backbeat models) are also around $25. These are the easier to deal with design.

I agree, however to clear things up. The BackBeat series from Altec is "NOT" a rebrand of Metro.Fi's, they simply use the same housing as the Metro Fi series only. As the housings that are used in the backbeat classic, plus, and titanium are sort of a "standard" housing that many companies use. But the Specifications, Build, and material are different from the Metro.Fi From UE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back