JBUDS Air True Wireless earbuds Review
Nov 12, 2018 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

red71rum

100+ Head-Fier
_DSC6008-2.jpg

A while back I saw a press release that JLab Audio was going to add an affordable alternative to their true wireless headphones the Epic and Elite. The new true wireless earbud is the Jbuds Air True Wireless. It can be had for $49. I was interested in these because of their price point and the fact that they had not used the ear hook in their design and instead opted for the cush fins to get a proper fit.

Acessories:

Jbuds-Air-Accessories-.jpg

The Jbuds Air come with the charging case, and a built in usb cable. They also include a set of cush fins, and two separate set of tips.

Features\Controls:

_DSC6957.jpg

Here you can see that both Jbuds are charging and the docking lights

The earbuds are Bluetooth 4.2 and have an IP55 rating. With the IP55 rating, this means that they are resistant to water and dust. This should help them last while being used at the gym. The included case is compact and where the Jbuds Air connect magnetically to the case and start charging. There are 3 white leds letting you know how charged the case is. This case also shows two blue led lights letting you know that the headphones are properly docked. It is interesting to note that you should make sure the right and left earbuds are in their respective sides within the case, or they will not charge\shutoff. The case has the usb charging cable built into the underside of the petite case. Without the case, the Jbuds Air last 3-4 hours and the case allows them to recharge and have a total time of 14 hours.

_DSC6944.jpg

A closeup of the built-in charging cable

These earbuds also have the 3 custom EQs built in. The 3 EQ are, Signature, Balanced, and Bass Boost. Like the Epic Elites, the Jbuds allow you to change between the 3 EQ settings by triple clicking either the left or right earbud. It is nice that no app is needed to switch between the EQs.

Volume is changed by single clicking the left ear to lower it and the right bud to raise the volume. Play/pause is engaged by double clicking the left ear bud. Moving between tracks is accomplished by clicking the left bud button for a second or more to go back and doing the same on the right bud allows you to advance. Double clicking allows the right bud activates Siri/Google.

Pairing\Distance:

_DSC6945.jpg

These paired very easily to my older Samsung Galaxy S7, all I had to do was hold and press the button on each bud for 3 seconds, their white lights flashed and they paired to each other. Once that was done the right earbud was flashing blue\white, and I selected them from the list of available Bluetooth devices.
I used these in the gym and found that they allowed me to be about 30ft away from my phone, any further than that and they start to lose signal. I took these to Land Between the Lakes and hiked with them this past weekend. My phone is in a holster on my right side(Otterbox Defender) and I did not run into any problem with signal. I did have occasion to have put my phone in my left pocket and they earbuds were still connected.

Build Quality\Fit:

_DSC6956.jpg

Here is a front and back shot of the Jbud Air True Wireless

The Jbuds Air are enclosed in a durable plastic cover with an angled nozzle. The included cush fins are a durable rubber like gasket which goes over the underside of the ear buds and covers them. The control buttons on each side seem very sturdy and work well. I did find myself having to put my forefinger against my head when clicking either bud with my thumb to stabilize my hand.

_DSC6034-3.jpg

I used myself to "model" how they fit in your ear

As for fit, the cush fins and the included tips helped me to get a fairly good fit when inserted in my ear. It also helps to move the buds left to right after insertion to get a tight seal. I found that the seal sufficiently blocked out ambient noise. It would be interesting if JLab at some point in another iteration of these were to make them more like my IEMs so they could be inserted deeper into the ear, thereby getting better isolation.

Sound\Performance:

_DSC6952.jpg

Another shot of the diminutive charging case

For this review, I utilized my Samsung Galaxy S7 and tried to use FLAC or at least 320kbps MP3s. I listened to different genres of music from metal to classical. Like the Epic Air Elites, I like to keep the earbuds on either the Signature or Balanced EQ. I think that they provided great sound with decent low end and detailed highs. I am not a bass head and do not like using Bass Boost. While these earbuds are not for accurate listening, the 8mm drivers performed well and did not distort during bass heavy tracks such as Muse’s Stockholm Syndrome, and Radiohead’s Subterranean Homesick Alien.These headphones definitely provide enough bass in all 3 EQ selections. As for clarity, the balanced mode does have a little more clarity where vocals are concerned. They also provided good stereo separation and had a decent sound stage.

Taking Calls:

While using the Jbuds for calling is a secondary feature, I did test them out. I made and took some calls. I noted that sound only came out of one side, but the calls sounded ok. I also asked the person I was on the call with how I sounded and they said I sounded pretty clear. While I would not make a habit of calling people while using these, they are usable.

Conclusion:

For $49, I think these are a great deal for someone looking to try out wireless Bluetooth earbuds. They performed well in the gym and when used on the go, or at work. The 4 hour battery life is more than sufficient for most activities and the included case extend that to a total of 14 hours. The only negative I could find was the very short built-in usb cable, I found it awkward. Other than that the JBuds Air True Wireless are a great deal and coupled with the 2 year warranty, give you peace of mind in case they might malfunction.

Attachments

• _DSC6940.jpg
    _DSC6940.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • _DSC6954.jpg
    _DSC6954.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 3
Nice but, still, you can't have a TW review that has no talk about pairing, connection stability and range. Walk away from device test, back/front pocket test, I used them on my commute test. Things like that.

Though I already know these seem to be a good option that keep getting solid reviews. Though they lack ambient feature it is silly to expect that at $49 shipped and ambient tips are out there for low cost and preserve battery life over using an ambient setting so not like you still can't have ambient use.

Not sure why they are even tried on here for gym use at least, since ambient in the gym isn't needed, they are cheap, IP55 rated, and 2 year warranty from a US company that has good service. Not sure what else you want from a gym TW esp. when reviews and videos say they sound as good or better than some of the big boy TW models. Got a bit of a snobbish dismissal of them when I brought them up in the TW thread. Odd for wireless earphones where there are plenty of issues with plenty of models that they still talk of.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 3
Nice but, still, you can't have a TW review that has no talk about pairing, connection stability and range. Walk away from device test, back/front pocket test, I used them on my commute test. Things like that.

Though I already know these seem to be a good option that keep getting solid reviews. Though they lack ambient feature it is silly to expect that at $49 shipped and ambient tips are out there for low cost and preserve battery life over using an ambient setting so not like you still can't have ambient use.

Not sure why they are even tried on here for gym use at least, since ambient in the gym isn't needed, they are cheap, IP55 rated, and 2 year warranty from a US company that has good service. Not sure what else you want from a gym TW esp. when reviews and videos say they sound as good or better than some of the big boy TW models. Got a bit of a snobbish dismissal of them when I brought them up in the TW thread. Odd for wireless earphones where there are plenty of issues with plenty of models that they still talk of.

I did for get to put in my observations, about the pairing. I don't put my phone in my pocket, but did do that one time and it was fine. Most phones really do not fit in your pocket, they are too large. I use an Otterbox Defender case, and holder. I will add the distance info, but pairing is not something that I thought would be worth mentioning, they paired right away. I don't commute, I drive. I used them hiking, at the gym and at work. There is not metro where I live so that is not possible.

Most people don't like to spend a lot of money on headphones, aside for the members here. These are a cheap option for people who might want to dip their toes into the True Wireless waters so to speak.

edit: I added some extra observations to the review.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back