Jbl lsr 305 vs riva turbo x
Jun 2, 2015 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Halonoonan

Head-Fier
Has anyone heard both of these? I'm looking for something to listen to music and use with my TV. On a sound comparison, which sounds better? Is there a big difference. Not talking about size, portability,Bluetooth etc, just based on sound. I'll be using them in a semi portable fashion but that's not a deal breaker for me. I just want to know if there is a big difference in sound.
Thanks.

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 3
The LSR305s are found by most people to be as good as the best <$500 powered monitors. So you can't lose with them. I have listened to a good many bluetooth speakers in the under $200 range, and none of them sound better to me than a decent pair of powered speakers in the $200 price range (YMMV).

The LSR 305s should have better soundstage and imaging if you can set them up decently, as opposed to a speaker that has all the drivers so close together. The LSR 305s will have better deep bass extension.

I don't think the LSR 305s would be very good for even semi-portable, unless you mean occasionally moving them to another room for a party or outside by the pool. They are fairly decent sized. Might get old pretty fast unless it's on rare occasions.

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 3
If you can afford the space the KRK rp6 g3 is a nice alternative in a similar price range, offering a little more bass extension and a warmer sound.  While the LSR305 is highly recommended recently the rear port is not ideally suited for placing close to a rear wall.  There is a lot to consider when it comes to monitors and your expectations and ambitions.  If you dont plan to use a sub in the future, using the biggest main driver as possible is usually going to give you some sonic benefits.  

Nearfield monitors are hardly "portable" but if you demand sound quality then its better to go active monitor over a bluetooth consumer unit IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back