JBL LSR 305 as TV speakers
Jul 6, 2015 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Halonoonan

Head-Fier
I'm looking at getting a 2.0 (maybe 2.1 eventually) setup for my TV. I'll probably get these or the emotiva 5s. My only concern is controlling the volume from like 10 feet away. Is the only way to do that is by using a volume pot? I've seen several and I see one specifically for the 5s. Looking at th back of the JBL how I would connect it?
Any other thoughts/recommendations?

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 5
What you would need will depend on the connectivity of your TV. Some form of audio output should be there, but on many modern units the only option is digital (i.e. HDMI or Toslink). In that case you'd need a DAC with a compatible input. If your TV has RCA outs then the DAC is not needed.

The next issue is volume control. As you probably appreciate, using the knobs on the back of the speakers is not practical. For that you will need a pre-amp, unless your DAC has one built in or your TV atenuates volume on the RCA outs. Just make sure the pre-amp you select has a remote.

This will work, but for TV this setup would be far from ideal. I'd be most concerned about the lack of sub which to me for music can be sacrificed, but for movies is essential.

So what's wrong with a setup based on a receiver and passive speakers? That would give you much more flexibility and several paths to expand/upgrade your system, not to mention the plug and play nature - as these devices are made for each other.

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 5
There are some people using the LSR series for HT type setups. See this thread over at AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1506519-jbl-lsr305-308-appreciation-thread.html.

However, as pointed out above, the problem you'll have is volume control.

I would suggest this Denon receiver from accessories4less: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavre200/denon-avr-e200-5.1-channel-3d-home-theater-receiver/1.html.

Then use the rest of your budget for a pair of speakers. Note that the receiver also has a subwoofer output, so ready to integrate a home audio subwoofer when you are ready to buy one.

Jul 8, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #5 of 5
I'm looking at getting a 2.0 (maybe 2.1 eventually) setup for my TV. I'll probably get these or the emotiva 5s. My only concern is controlling the volume from like 10 feet away. Is the only way to do that is by using a volume pot? I've seen several and I see one specifically for the 5s. Looking at th back of the JBL how I would connect it?
Any other thoughts/recommendations?

You can use a DAC-HPamp that has a preamp output and a remote control, like the remote controlled AudioGD units.

However, for the price of one of those units you can already get a decent entry-level A/V receiver and a pair of speakers, and it will already have a dedicated subwoofer output. Buy the latest receivers with HDMI1.4, and check if your TV has that, since that version has the audio return channel (so even if you hook up a cable box direct to the HDTV instead of through the receiver, the sound can go back down to the receiver). Even if your TV doesn't have it might as well get a receiver that does, so when you get a new TV you can use that feature; for now, make sure it has an SPDIF (usually optical) output so you can send digital audio to the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back