JBL J88 - A very quick impression
Mar 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

viralcow

Headphoneus Supremus
A friend of mine got these for $130, despite me telling him to get something else. Not that I have any beef with JBL, but I feel there are so many options in the $50-$150 budget that it would be wiser to go with something tried & true like the CAL!

But he bought them, and lent it to me for a day.

Short Impression:

Build Quality and Comfort (7/10) - These are bigger IRL than in the pictures. About the size of the Beats Studio, with a nice looking matte plastic finish. However, they don't rotate or extend very far, so people with large heads might not get a good fit. The steel accents are nice, but they still feel flimsy. Detachable cable is a plus. 

Comfort wise, not too bad. The earcups aren't big enough to be fully circumaural, but the pads are very plush and I can easily wear these for 2-3 hours without discomfort. Any more than that, the pads get hot and slightly painful.

Isolation and Leakage (3/10) - both terrible for a closed can. Everyone can hear what I'm listening to and I can easily hear background noises through the music.

Sound Quality (6/10) - Average bass extension considering these are marketed as "purebass" headphones. It has a fun V-shaped signature, with a dip in the mids. The bass impact is on par with the SRH750DJ - not overpowering, but with presence. But there's a slight midbass hump that makes it hard for me to enjoy. In other words, a bit muddy. The treble is also average - there's no sibilance but I would like a bit more sparkle and detail. Soundstage is nonexistent.

So yeah. A very "meh" pair of headphones. The asking price is low enough, and it does come with decent features (detachable cable, folding earcups, cool design), but you could do so much better for $130.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 4
Got to try out these j88s and I must say it wasn't all that bad. In fact, it's pretty decent for its price range. Compared these with the M50 side by side,the J88 is easier to power. Can go loud if you wanted to. Sounded similar to my sennheiser momentums with just a little less sparkle and slam.

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 4
Just had a quick audition.. Really not as good as I had hoped. Muddy and overpowering mid and upper bass, cheap-ish feeling build... Meh is a good word to use here. However, i did think they had okay soundstage

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 4
I got my j88 on sale from newegg for $25. They are very nicely packaged, well built and nice looking.

Fresh out of the box, the headphone have a extremely dull sound with minimal treble and bass extension. After about 24 hours of burn in, the bass extension and quantity have greatly improved and the mid became more forward, but still lacking the treble extension. I will burn them to around 100 hours and see how they are. But for $25, they are a GREAT gift to any friend since the packaging looks much more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back