Jazz :)
Sep 20, 2001 at 10:24 PM Post #18 of 31
For a piano trio you can't get much better than Bill Evans. Waltz for Debbie or Sunday at the Village Vanguard (both live from the VV) are great places to start.

If you haven't checked it out already, a previous thread had a lot of great suggestions:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&threadid=1165

I find the early jazz stereo recordings with the hard left and hard right presentations pretty hard to take with headphones without using crossfeed, although I guess some like the wide seperation. In fact I find the seperation is even a bit too wide for speakers. This is sometimes a result of the fact that these weren't really recorded for stereo but were two or three track recordings meant for mono. Rudy van Guilder recorded a lot of these in his parent's living room, and he only had a single monitor speaker since that's all he had room for. The mono LPs of these early jazz dates usually get a big premium over the stereo versions.

Sep 21, 2001 at 12:28 AM Post #19 of 31
piano? Try some Monk
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2001 at 12:57 AM Post #20 of 31
Check out Brad Mehldau for piano. He's a rather young pianist (about 26-7, I think) who has some amazing work out there. Just from the samples I've heard on CDNow, Places is my favorite album (and the one I've purchased and which is on its way to me now). The music sounds more like a mix between classical and jazz than pure jazz.

I'm not a big fan of Bill Evans -- I think my piano teacher put it best when he said that Bill Evans's problem was that he was "dated." Thelonious Monk, for example, had music that was very original, different, progressive. Bill Evans's music sounds very much grounded in the chord-driven music before Miles jumped in on the scene (although Evans played with Miles). However, I guess he may be a good starting point if you're coming from "simpler" music like rock. Coming from classical, I'd really recommend Brad Mehldau first. He struck a chord with me right away, unlike even Thelonious Monk.

Sep 21, 2001 at 2:17 AM Post #22 of 31
MONK!!!

(sorry, but Straight, No Chaser is really a testament to just how great Monk is.......
biggrin.gif
)

Sep 21, 2001 at 10:25 AM Post #24 of 31
Trombone kinuv gets dissed.
frown.gif

- 'Mingus Ah Hum' is another classic album that used tha bone(not featured alot though). Recorded in same studio as KOB & Time Out, great sound.

- Curtis Fuller, JJ Johnson & Kai Winding (helluv ol' school)

- Mapleshade also has a few good CDs out w/ trombone as a leader.

- Ray Anderson or even Steve Turre(not one of my favs, but good player/leader)

* The Dave Holland Quintet features a kick ass bone player named Robin Eubanks. Buy all Dave Holland Quintet CDs('Prime Directive' & 'Not for Nothin') - they're the best working group in the biz today(well recorded albums too).
cool.gif

Sep 21, 2001 at 2:31 PM Post #25 of 31
Not too many trombone bandleaders, I do remember one that I used to listen to but cannot find any of this stuff on CD. His name is Bill Watrous. Also, Dave Bargerone, used to play trombone for Blood, Sweat and Tears. There is also a jazz/fusion band from the 70s called Matrix that boasted two of the best 'bone players I have ever heard. But, alas, can't find any of their stuff on CD either.

Sep 21, 2001 at 3:59 PM Post #27 of 31
Regarding Bill Evans, the AMG calls him "(along with McCoy Tyner) the most influential pianist in jazz during the 1960's and '70s, and since his death in 1980 his influence has exceeded Tyner's."

Of course Monk is a must. I also like Brad Mehldau and Keith Jarrett.

Steve Turre's latest called T-n-T is also excellent for tenor and trombone. I'm a big Curtis Fuller fan too. I've seen him live several times, he's still playing around.

Sep 21, 2001 at 4:04 PM Post #28 of 31
If you liked the old Snoopy/Peanuts cartoons, check out the soundtracks to those, the artist slips my mind right now. Branford Marsalis also did some peanut's songs on an album entitled "Joe Cool plays the blues." or something like that.

Sep 21, 2001 at 7:59 PM Post #29 of 31
hongda: it was "Joe Cool's Blues" - I love that album.....and I think the composer's name is Vince Gauraldi (sp?).

Sep 22, 2001 at 8:36 PM Post #30 of 31
ahhh trombone playing... now we're talking
smily_headphones1.gif

DEFINATELY check out JJ Johnson and Curtis Fuller.

possibly another trombone player to check out is Frank Rosolino.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back