Jazz recommendations?
Jun 20, 2002 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Well I just realized I LOVE jazz. Its by far the most listened to music in my cd player. Particularly, I love Dave Brubeck's Time Out. Its WONDERFUL.

So, any recommendations? I don't know what it is. But Time Out ranks up there as my favorite cd of all time.

Jun 20, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 10
There are literally tons of classic jazz recordings. Doyou have a favorite instrument?

I guess the most highly regarded jazz recording of all time is Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" but don't stop there because there are tons of great recordings. If you want to hear something a little different get Miles's "Sketches of Spain" (big orchestra with beautiful instrument groupings and a Spanish flavor).

Jun 20, 2002 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Here are a few I'd heartily recommend:

Bill Evans, "Waltz for Debby" and/or "Sunday at the Village Vanguard"

Charles Mingus, "Mingus Ah Um"

Sonny Rollins, "Saxophone Colossus"

Thelonious Monk, "Brilliant Corners," "Misterioso"

Oliver Nelson, "The Blues and the Abstract Truth"

Jun 20, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 10
You might try something by the Modern Jazz Quartet. They have a very refined sound, like Brubeck, and they have a strong classical influence too (again like Brubeck).

I really like their album "Pyramid." It has "Django" on it, which has to be my favorite jazz composition of all time. MJQ is probably a bit more subdued and laid-back than Brubeck, but definitely worth checking out.

Jun 20, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 10
Piano trio, hard not to like this one if you're getting sick of Timeout. Sound quality on the VME edition is also terrific.

'Getz/Gilberto' is another disc that should be easy to like.

I would recommend searching through the jazz threads, many modern classics to be found.

Jun 21, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 10
Good advice here. The MJQ recommendation is a great one to follow Dave Brubeck. See if you can also find the tune "Fontessa" like Django it is a masterpiece.

Gerry Mulligan with Chet Baker is also in that mode. And don't forget Miles's "Birth of the Cool'. Good luck!

Jul 2, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly

Gerry Mulligan with Chet Baker is also in that mode. And don't forget Miles's "Birth of the Cool'. Good luck!

I'm reading the new bio of Chet Baker. Talk about depressing.

You should also check out the maestro, Duke Ellington. Anything he did over his 50 year career is amazing, but I'm partial to his post-Newport stuff. My all time favorite jazz CD is "The Far East Suite." Amazing stuff, great Hodges, Gonzalves, and Jimmy Hamilton. Also try "New Orleans Suite" (Hodges final recording) and "And His Mother Called Him Bill." I listened to this on the WOH tour, and it's great, especially "Blood Count."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back