Jazz recommendations: guitar driven
Nov 10, 2003 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Lando

100+ Head-Fier
I like jazz guitars, but I don't know where to start looking for music where the jazz guitar takes center stage. I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks!
cool.gif

Nov 10, 2003 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 11
I won't try to gover the entire gamut here. Just a couple of Jazz guitarists I like. Definitely jazz guitar here, but not boring and not predictable, for sure.

1) Marvin Sewell
Quite possibly the funkiest man alive. Goes everywhere from mainstream jazz guitar to some funky blues stuff. Young guy, from Chicago. Was a key player with Casandra Wilson for a long while, before branching out. Not famous now, but he will be. Even if you can only fnd stuff wth Marvin Sewell as a sideman, as opposed to bandleader, he kicks ass.

2) Richard Bona
From Cameroun. Blends traditional jazz influences with African ones. Very nice if you can get a live album

3) Zachary Breaux
Passed away a few years ago as a very youg guy. But was already making a name as the hottest young guy in Jazz guitar. A lot of his work was as a sideman for Roy Ayers in the 1990's. He did some very good work with Ayers. Also has at least one album of his own, if not more.

Nov 10, 2003 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Charlie Christian got things going for the modern jazz guitar, but he was recorded so long ago (and badly) that mostly the recordings are of historic interest. Django Reinhardt fared some better. You are at least going to want to hear these two guitar greats at work.

Wes Montgomery, already mentioned above, died young but left a considerable body of well recorded work. I especially enjoy some of his collaborative work with Jimmy Smith.

Grant Green has also long been a favorite, but then I prefer cool/bop/hard bop genres. I grew up listening to George Benson and Earl Klugh; both played more jazz early in their careers. Tad Fallow is also very good.

Of the modern Jazz guitarist, I've always been partial to Pat Metheny. His catalogue to spotty, however, with frequent crossovers into "new age". Try "Bright Size Life".

Nov 10, 2003 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 11
Old school: Joe Pass
Newer: Stanley Jordan (absolutely awesome technique)

Nov 10, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 11
John McLaughlin - solo or Mahavishnu Orhcestra
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow, Wired, and There and Back
Al DiMeola - solo or Return to Forever
Wes Montgomery
Joe Pass
Tal Farlow
Grant Green

Try out that list for starters.

Nov 10, 2003 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 11
I'm fond of Tal Farlow. He had a stroke in the early 90's, but he taught himself how to play again (I saw him in a performance several years after his stroke -- it was incredible, but couldn't equal the excellence of his pre-stroke recordings.)

For more information that you probably want to know about jazz guitar, you can always look at www.classicjazzguitar.com .

Nov 10, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #10 of 11
John Scofield. His older stuff is more traditional. His newer stuff is crazy and he's really experimenting a lot. Check out allmusic.com for recommendations and decide on what you'd like to hear. "A Go Go" is an incredible album--he's backed up by Medeski, Martin, and Wood.

Nov 10, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks guys!
biggrin.gif
This is plenty for me to start with, but feel free to recommend more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back