Jazz Newbie - looking for something like Manteca
Nov 8, 2003 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shafu

500+ Head-Fier
I'm fairly new to jazz - been listening to Kind of Blue, A love supreme, etc... I came across Dizzy Gillespe's Manteca and love it. The energy, melodies, action - all good stuff! Does anyone have any recommendations for jazz that has a similar feel/sound?

Thanks! Been trying to get into jazz, and this song is the first one that really got my head bobbing!

"I never go back to Georiga!"

Nov 8, 2003 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 7
if you're looking for something more upbeat, try out Miles to go by Miles Davis. It's not as well known as Kind of Blue, but it is also a great album.

Nov 22, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 7
The Manteca album was one of the first Latin Jazz recodings and crossovers. Now the man that recorded the best Latin Jazz is Tito Puente. In his lifetime, he recorded 130 CDs with 7 Grammy Awards! Yes, he was a workaholic's workaholic!

Here's a few Puente Latin Jazz CDs you might like...

Mambo Diablo (Grammy Award).
In Session.
On Broadway (Grammy Award).
Live at the Village Gate.

That last CD leaves Manteca in the dust! All the musicians in that CD are famous recording stars.

Nov 22, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm a big Tito Puente fan too. I think his best work is relfected in his early RCA albums. These have been collected in two box sets called (unsurprisingly) The Complete RCA Recordings. But if you can only buy one or two, try Dance Mania and Tambo.

Nov 23, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 7
Music Fanatic:

I happen to like Tito's CDs from the 80s forward because they are better recordings. Some of the early recordings lack the clarity of the new digital tech. However, the CDs you mentioned are excellent musically!

BTW, Tito Puente was the only musician I knew that recorded in all the different recording mediums: 78, 33, 45, and finally in CDs. He participated in over 200 recordings (130 were his own).

Tito's 5th Grammy Award: Mambo Birdland.
I remember watching the Grammies on TV when Tito won his 5th Grammy. It was amazing! People got up and applauded, but they would not stop. It went on and on for several minutes. Weeks later, a musician friend explained what happened to me. He said the Grammy program had Tito's bio. It simply stated the Tito was the world's most prolific recording artist, which is true! I mean, you can be world famous artist with 20 to 30 CDs. However, to get to past the 100 CD mark takes a huge effort. That's why the applause went on and on!

Mambo Birdland...
This is CD is a Latin Dance CD with vocals in Spanish. It is not a Latin Jazz CD. So if you don't mind the Spanish vocals, you will love this CD! It is happy, happy, happy! I play it often to cheer me up!

New York, New York...
Nueva York, Nueva York...

All this jazzin happened on New York's Broadway Avenue (an indian trail that starts in Manhattan and ends up in Canada). Right around 53rd St and Broadway, Latin musicians played at The Palladium, while a few blocks away Jazz musicians played at Birdland. So the Latins went to hear the Jazzers, and the Jazzers went to hear the Latins. Voila! The two music genres influenced each other. It was very much like a marriage. When the baby was born, it was named Latin Jazz!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back