jazz mutation
Jan 21, 2002 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

schiss

Head-Fier
I've got some production music at work (licensed for use under the voice over tracks in video/multimedia stuff) that i really loved... it was 50's/60's bop set to modern-day beats, like house or ambient drum and bass stuff. Are there real artists out there creating this type of music? Is this acid jazz, or is that just too wide of a label?

Schiss

Jan 21, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 7
You would probably love the "big beat bassonova" stuff that's out there. Give "Break n' Bossa" Chapter 2 a try:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...156146-6745351

The "album details" describes it as "Electro-Lounge/breakbeat/nu Jazz/Bossa"
biggrin.gif

I've heard the whole "Break n' Bossa" series is good, but that's the one I have.

Jan 21, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 7
I have Us3's first album, Cantaloup, and it's really good. I've heard it described as acid jazz... some tracks, maybe, but not all of them.

Jan 22, 2002 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 7
Actually, the first album is called "Hand on the Torch".

I was actually listening to their second album "Broadway & 52nd" the other day.

And yes, there was an acid-jazz fad in the 90s - turntables and sampled and electronic beats teamed with live soloing and sampled soloing and melodies from old jazz records. It's died off some, but still going - Groove Collective & United Future Organiztion are some current groups.

Jan 22, 2002 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 7
redface.gif
Oops, thanks for the correction, BenG. Must've been thinking of the first song on that album. How is their second album? Know any other good acid jazz bands?

Jan 22, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #7 of 7
I don't know of alot of jazz/rap groups really. Maybe someone else could fill us in. Gangstar is another jazz/rap group that comes to mind. Most "Acid-Jazz" as I know it doesn't really contain alot of rapping just the beats, sampling, and turntable stuff from hip-hop.

And yes, I thought the second US3 album was good, it just used a different rapper, and didn't have a really catchy hit like "Cantaloupe"on it.

Modern Jazz/Funk seems to be more hip these days - all live instrumentation with some turntables, and very groovy.
DJ Logic is pretty cool - He's a turntablist who works with jazz musicians.
Soulville, Karl Denison, Charlie Hunter, Robert Walter, Galactic, MMW(Medeski Martin & Wood), and my favorite ULU are all fools that make music in this vein.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back