Jazz listener, how old are you ... ?
Mar 20, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #61 of 78
Pretty new to the genre, but I'm 21 years old. I started, as many do, with Kind of Blue. I progressed to some modern jazz ensembles, stuff like Snarky Puppy, but things didn't really click until I made it through Bitches Brew 2-3 times. 

I'm still a complete novice with the genre, but Charles Mingus's Ah Um has recently caught my ear. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #62 of 78
  Pretty new to the genre, but I'm 21 years old. I started, as many do, with Kind of Blue. I progressed to some modern jazz ensembles, stuff like Snarky Puppy, but things didn't really click until I made it through Bitches Brew 2-3 times. 

I'm still a complete novice with the genre, but Charles Mingus's Ah Um has recently caught my ear. 

Ah Bitches Brew - my jazz "love" and one that will always be dear to my heart.

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #63 of 78

Ah Bitches Brew - my jazz "love" and one that will always be dear to my heart.

24 yr. old guy here.  Bitches Brew was one of my first loves as well.  My dorm supervisor in boarding school had John Coltrane and Miles Davis records all over his apartment and I branched out from there.  

Also, the anime Cowboy Bebop had a jazz inspired music selection and art style that left me wanted more...

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #66 of 78
43. I discovered Jazz when I wass kid with these album :

The only two Jazz album in my parent's collection.

My second CD ( the first one was Dire Straits' Brother in arms) bought in late 80s was this :

I played saxophone During 15 years and was a huge fan of John Coltrane. 

I've a long love story with Jazz music here
beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #67 of 78
Almost 22 here, been listening to it on and off past 4 years, helps to relax during stressful times. When I need the adrenaline or self-esteem boost I drop down some classical to get me pumping.

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #69 of 78
I'm 17 and I enjoy faster pace jazz like Euge Groove's House of Groove, Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind and Fire, and some others.

My favorite song is definitely House of Groove.

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #70 of 78

Also, the anime Cowboy Bebop had a jazz inspired music selection and art style that left me wanted more...

Yup that soundtrack got me into Jazz. I'm only a novice still as well but I have CDs of Portico Quartet, The Seatbelts, John Contrane, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Ennio Morricone, Al Di Meola, Vince Guaraldi Trio, Bela Fleck, Herb Albert and so on. I'm 20 BTW 

May 15, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #71 of 78
23 here. I've been mostly a smooth jazz listener but I also like classics like Miles Davis too.

May 15, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #72 of 78
23 here. I've been mostly a smooth jazz listener but I also like classics like Miles Davis too.

May 15, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #73 of 78
24 this July. I realized how much I liked Jazz after taking my first class in college 5 years ago. Very into Sam Cooke, Dinah Washington, Ella Fitzgerald and the likes.

Duke Ellington and Count Bassie are great as well!

May 16, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #74 of 78
I am curious as to how many jazz fans also like stuff like deep house.
I am a big fan of both.
Love both the vocals and instrumentation of jazz. 

May 16, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #75 of 78
  I am curious as to how many jazz fans also like stuff like deep house.
I am a big fan of both.
Love both the vocals and instrumentation of jazz. 

Jazz is the love of my life. It is what I enjoy most of all. I was only introduced to deep house about two years ago by artists like KIWAMU and ONIKO, and I really enjoy it, but it's difficult to find good deep house. Like with all music – and I do listen to everything from black metal to modern classical and progressive house to noise – maybe 5-10% of it is good (enough for me), so a lot of effort goes into discovering new artists and releases that are worthwhile. Finding good labels that offer content that is consistent in quality is the key to sourcing good electronic music of virtually any genre, I feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back