Jazz listener, how old are you ... ?
Mar 14, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #48 of 78
45 Been listening to a wide variety of Jazz for a long time Female Vocals probably most often but cant beat a bit of Jazz at the Pawnshop or Kind of Blue for a chill session, not the only Jazz albums I own BTW :).

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #49 of 78
52 years old.....been listening maybe 15 years.  Started out with very catchy stuff like Spyro Gyra, Rippingtons, Acoustic Alchemy...all of which I still like and listen to.... always leaned more contemporary than smooth (which I hate).  Never got into Bony James, Rick Braun, Dave Koz, Candy Dulfer, etc....YUCH!.    

Then I transitioned to more forward thinking jazz like  Metheny, Stern, Schofield, Ponty, Dimeola, Christian Scott, Herbie Hancock, etc....then to some straight ahead stuff.  But I generally stick to current contemporary stuff...but NOT smooth jazz.  (Brian Blade, Kurt Rosenwinkle, Jason Moran , Christian McBride, Antonio Sanchez, Mike Moreno, Metheny to name a couple).  Pat Metheny being by far my most admired and respected musician alive today.  He does and offers so much to the genre but I know many don't care for him.  I think he's a living legend at his craft.

I am fascinated by the musical minds and skills of jazz musicians versus guys I use to idolize in the "ROCK" genre.  Like night and day.

But I do still occasionally pull out some Rush, Todd Rundgren, Genesis, Swing Out Sister, Tori Amos, Joni Mitchell, Sting, Deep Purple, Grand Funk....classic sort of stuff.

I'm a music lover...period.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #50 of 78
28 years old. I've had the Kind of Blue album for ages. But work colleague's gift of Herbie Hancock box set about 4 years ago (Empyrean Isles, Maiden Voyage, Speak Like a Child) is what got me very interested. Currently going through Dave Brubeck's catalogue.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #51 of 78
im 28 been listening to jazz for 10 years. The Mahavishnu Orchestra did it for me - it was my window from prog/fusion to jazz 

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #52 of 78
I'm, ah, 65, and my first Jazz epiphany was in 1963 when the marching band of which I was a member played a lift of a Billy May big band arrangement of Suppe's Poet and Peasant Overture from an album called "Shall We Swing" by Glen Gray. Bought the album and wore it out. Then in 1966 I discovered Stan Kenton through his "West Side Story" album.

I've never been much of a fan of small ensemble jazz, and certainly don't care for swing; but Kenton, Ferguson, most of today's college bands, Gil Evans, Don Ellis, Buddy Rich...these guys keep me entertained. Basically I'm done searching. Lots of brass, a few reeds, plenty of percussion. I'm happy.

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #53 of 78
Turning 42 in a few months...been listening and playing jazz (I play trumpet) since I was teenager back in the 80s. Yeah, I'm a HUGE Miles Davis fan!

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #54 of 78
  Turning 42 in a few months...been listening and playing jazz (I play trumpet) since I was teenager back in the 80s. Yeah, I'm a HUGE Miles Davis fan!

you play trumpet - man you kept that a secret. I had a sax for a few years but it wasn't the brass for me. I much prefer trumpet and trombone which is what i should of got. I was never any good on sax and am more of a guitar player anyway 

I had you pegged as a mostly rock kinda guy. There's me judging books. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #55 of 78
  you play trumpet - man you kept that a secret. I had a sax for a few years but it wasn't the brass for me. I much prefer trumpet and trombone which is what i should of got. I was never any good on sax and am more of a guitar player anyway 

I had you pegged as a mostly rock kinda guy. There's me judging books. 

I've played for more than 30 years. But my day job is very different. I love rock, but I'm also a huge jazz fan too.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #56 of 78
I'm 30... been exposed to Jazz all my life because of my mother.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #57 of 78

If you haven't heard Hiromi's "Another Mind", do yourself a favour and check it out.

[VIDEO]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G6pgM-NVfWg[/VIDEO]

Brass and piano player since 1987

Cheers

Nathan

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #58 of 78
42 years old now. Started with Charlie Parker's Bebob 25 years ago just before beginning to play the alto sax, too.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #59 of 78
47 and I have been listening to Jazz, and all music, since I was an infant. My Mum was hugely into music. I listen to almost every kind, from Davis, Adderley, Coltrane and Parker to Johnny Hartman and Artie Shaw to Bill Evans, Jim Hall to Dave Sanborn and Dave Brubeck. It's all good.

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #60 of 78
Recently turned 35. Been into different forms of jazz virtually since birth, maybe because both parents are musicians. Fan of modern jazz guitar, in  particularly Lee Ritenour, George Benson.
Generally anything goes from Quincy Jones through Bill Evans, Chet Baker,  to Miles Davis (his earlier stuff).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back