Jazz fusion recommendations...
Aug 15, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #16 of 40
One of my favorite artists is Steve Tibbetts. I've never heard anything else like him. He goes from heavy, distorted guitar to acoustic, backed up by a fantastic percussionist. Kind of a cross between heavy metal, psychedelic, jazz, and world music. His last few albums have been almost exclusively world music, 2 with a Tibetan abbot singing and one with a Norwegian folk violinist. My favorite is his second album YR.

The music on this video is a track from YR, very typical for YR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm65b...elated&search=

This is a video of some of the world music stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGSjT...elated&search=

Unfortunately, I've never found long samples of the harder stuff, but allmusic.com does have the 30 second samples

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh! Oh! Weather Report. I just picked up Black Market, and it's very good.

After listening to jazz for a long-ish time, I'm only now getting into jazz-rock fusion types of stuff, if we have to call it something ....

Check out Herbie Hancock's Future Shock, as well. Along with the earlier Miles recos for sure.

Oh yeah forgot about Weather Report. Heavy Weather still hasn't arrived yet - ordered 10 days ago.

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #19 of 40
There's a sometimes fine line between jazz fusion and smooth jazz. Make sure not to get caught up in the latter.

Good Jazz Fusion:
`Miles Davis' later material ("A Tribute to Jack Johnson" and beyond)
`Shakti/Remember Shakti (John McLaughlin + Zakir Hussain... a fusion between edgy guitar jazz and Hindustani raags)
`Mahavishnu Orchestra (John McLaughlin in a more rock-oriented band... these guys are INTENSE!)
`Medeski Martin and Wood (Rock/Jazz/Funk... very electronic. Medeski is an excellent organ/keyboard improviser)
`Flanger (Electronic/Jazz duo, a very progressive group that pays homage to everything from dixieland to free jazz)
`Naked City (A fusion between jazz and thrash metal led by John Zorn... these guys are nuts, but one of the most virtuous jazz or metal acts to ever exist)
`Brand X (A funk/jazz mix.. Phil Collins as drummer, and, he's actually quite good on these albums!)

Questionable Jazz Fusion:
`Pat Metheny (A terribly good player, but his sound reminds me far too much of the smooth stuff. He seems to have developed a crutch for all of his electronics recently as well.)
`Spyro Gyra (A group of, again, great musicians... but just far too smooth and repetitive. These guys don't extract the best sound from their horns either.)

Not Even Jazz Fusion At All But Some May Say It Is:
`Kenny G (Yuck.. just... no...)
`Dave Koz (See Kenny G.)

Good stuff!!! Thank you in 2015 

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #20 of 40
A surviver thread
wink.gif
let's keep it going :

United Jazz and Rock Ensemble :
http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-united-jazz-rock-ensemble-mn0000289659/discography
MI0002319907.jpg

A mid 70's group of acclaimed Jazz musicians who wanted to the have some fun and rock on.
Varied ensemble members on and off over the years.
The original group disbanded but there is a new generation under Wolfgang Dauner :
http://ujre2g.com/

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #22 of 40
(shaking head)...again, we are listing releases 30-40 years old!

Look into a release called "Metrocafe" from Metro.  One of the greatest fusion releases EVER.
Check out a release called "Petite Blonde"  Bill Evans(the sax player), Dennis Chambers on drums  and a host of other stud players.
Dave Weckl, "Perpetual Motion", "Multiplicity"
Check out Tribal Tech stuff with Scott Henderson on guitar.
Oz Noy

Jul 23, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #24 of 40
  (shaking head)...again, we are listing releases 30-40 years old!

Look into a release called "Metrocafe" from Metro.  One of the greatest fusion releases EVER.
Check out a release called "Petite Blonde"  Bill Evans(the sax player), Dennis Chambers on drums  and a host of other stud players.
Dave Weckl, "Perpetual Motion", "Multiplicity"
Check out Tribal Tech stuff with Scott Henderson on guitar.
Oz Noy

Hello.  Thank you for sharing this.  About UZEB and the other oldies: Classics are classics.
I liked Petite Blonde Album .... ufff nice live album.  
I have listened Tribal Tech. I love it.
I will check others. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #25 of 40
  I like certain kinds of music and I do not care too much about the release date
biggrin.gif

LMAO..... good point.

But just like in the jazz threads, it just shows how out of touch a person is.  Everyone knows about Mahavishnu or Weather Report, even if you didn't even know what fusion was.  I presume the poster is looking for something other than the obvious.  That's what's kind of so hilarious.

Like if someone asked for some great Classical.  I would probably tell them Beethoven or Bach or Chopin or Rochmaninoffs 3rd Prelude.     

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #26 of 40

LMAO..... good point.

But just like in the jazz threads, it just shows how out of touch a person is.  Everyone knows about Mahavishnu or Weather Report, even if you didn't even know what fusion was.  I presume the poster is looking for something other than the obvious.  That's what's kind of so hilarious.

Like if someone asked for some great Classical.  I would probably tell them Beethoven or Bach or Chopin or Rochmaninoffs 3rd Prelude.     

... out of touch, with the latest and greatest, LOL. OK I can live with that, no problem
wink.gif

I also have Dave Weckl, Mahavishnu and Weather Report CD's on my shelf... UJRE is something that NOT everybody knows, so it might be a new discovery for some even when it's from '75.
Oh gosh, I have just out myself again as being out of touch
biggrin.gif
with the downloads and streaming.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #27 of 40
John McLaughlin continues to make some great fusion. "To The One" is a superb release, and the recent "Boston Record" captures his latest band 4th Dimension in a live setting very nicely.

I'm a big fan of some of the Nordic "NuJazz" artists. Guitarist Eivind Aarset makes some really unique music, his debut Electronique Noire and the more recent Sonic Codex are two of my favorites. Trumpeter Nils Petter Movaer has also released a lot of excellent stuff. Khmer was his breakout album and is awesome. Some may question calling this music fusion but I think the label fits.

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #28 of 40
  John McLaughlin continues to make some great fusion. "To The One" is a superb release, and the recent "Boston Record" captures his latest band 4th Dimension in a live setting very nicely.

I'm a big fan of some of the Nordic "NuJazz" artists. Guitarist Eivind Aarset makes some really unique music, his debut Electronique Noire and the more recent Sonic Codex are two of my favorites. Trumpeter Nils Petter Movaer has also released a lot of excellent stuff. Khmer was his breakout album and is awesome. Some may question calling this music fusion but I think the label fits.

Thank you for sharing this.  I'm listening Sonic Codex.  I like Cameo song. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #30 of 40
Bela Feckin Fleck and the Flecktones. Holy ***** these guys are good. Victor Wooten on bass (he's pretty much bass jesus), His brother on drums (he's a nutcase!), Bela on banjo (don't be fooled, he's probably one of the best in the world), and an assortment of guests who are just fantastic. Bela has an awesome imagination when it comes to writing music, and he never gets oppressive and lets everyone play around with their parts.

Jean-Luc Ponty's older stuff, really anything before 85' is pretty fantastic, amazing musicians, and damn is he a good songwriter. A lot of his tunes feel like kick-ass jam sessions until he starts getting a little oppressive and takes the center stage after a while. Cosmic Messenger, Enigmatic Ocean, Civilised Evil, Imaginary Voyage, Aurora, and Mystical Adventures are my favorites. I have everything by him, but most of his newer stuff is really not as swingin' as it is in the beginning of his career. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back