Jazz Fusion a.k.a The Rawness
Mar 31, 2012 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

grazedtheship

New Head-Fier
Jazz fusion is still quite controversial among many jazz groups. Growing up in a younger generation I'm surprised to see many jazz kids my age shying away from it entirely. You'd think at this point in this country's progression, this absurd segregation would have subsided.  Everyone knows deep down fusion is where it's at. I mean don't get me wrong, bee bop is that illness, but where's the love for that funky fusion? Post some jams! 

(Ignore the absurd video below, which contains images that in no way relate to Allan Holdsworth or anything rational)

Album recommendation: Larry Coryell - Spaces (1970)

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 17
... Fusion is where-it's-at, for real ... It's basically Jazz/Rock without any sense of "purity", and many times, that's what makes it so interesting ... It's not afraid to be complicated when it want to be ... Many of my favorite songs are "fusion" (Allan Holdsworth, Chick Corea) ...

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 17
Apr 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 17
Let's not forget classic fusion such as:
Miles Davis (Bitches Brew era)
Weather Report
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Return to Forever

...and of course more recent examples inc:
Jeff Beck (esp. his 'Performing This Week... Live at Ronnie Scott's' release)

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Miles Davis (Bitches Brew era)
Mahavishnu Orchestra

I'm not that into fusion, but these are the groups I can get with…add Tony Williams Lifetime with bad-ass organist Larry Young…

And here's a weird one: I actually like the cats in Return To Forever before they were RTF, on Stan Getz's Captain Marvel…fine record…

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
I'm not that into fusion, but these are the groups I can get with…add Tony Williams Lifetime with bad-ass organist Larry Young…

And here's a weird one: I actually like the cats in Return To Forever before they were RTF, on Stan Getz's Captain Marvel…fine record…

I was going to add Tony Williams Lifetime to my above list, so thanks for adding it. 

Thanks for saying about the pre-RTF stuff. I'll check it out. I don't know if you've heard it, but there's some cool RTF stuff with drummer Steve Gadd playing a few tracks live in the studio on WLIR-FM.

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #12 of 17
Many selections from 30-40 years ago (as is always the case with any jazz thread) but perhaps the best jazz fusion band performing today is Metro.

Features Mitch Foreman(keys), Chuck Loeb(guitar), Wofgang Haffner(drums) and Victor Bailey(bass).  Their "Metrocafe"release may be the best fusion record ever made.

Chuck Loeb was also part of another project with Bill Evans (the sax guy) and all-world drummer Dennis Chambers called "Petite Blonde".

A phenommenal jazz fusion record.

Chuck Loeb has swayed many ways, most lately in the smooth jazz format but he can rock out like a legend in the jazz fusion format as well.

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 17
Just thought I'd throw it in. Some L.A.-based musicians I know of have been making great jazz-fusion for some time now. 

Jeff Richman has created some great tribute albums over the past few years, tweaking the music of Steely Dan, Miles Davis, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Jeff Beck.

Michael Landau, Abe Laboriel (Jr. and Sr.), Vinnie Colaiuta, and Gregg Mathieson occasionally play together around L.A. and have made some of the most astounding sounding fusion I've ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back