Jazz fans!
Dec 1, 2005 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

mdameron

Head-Fier
I just found out that I like piano jazz! Basically a piano, string bass, and drums... other instruments are fine too... but the string bass and piano are a must! My buddy who plays jazz sax recommended Gene Harris, but what are other good artists/albums out there? I can rent 5 cd's at a time from the university library, so keep the recommendations coming!

Thanks!!!

Dec 1, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 23
Definately pick up some Bill Evans! Turn Out the Stars is one of my favorite jazz albums ever..

Dec 1, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane1
Dave Brubeck - Time Out

Also pick up "Time Further Out", which is basically a continuation of the above said album. Very innovative work all around.

Oh, and don't forget Thelonious Monk, if you haven't gotten him already. You should probably start out with "Straight/No Chaser" from his quartet.

Dec 1, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 23
I like Female Vocal Piano Jazz with Guitar
smily_headphones1.gif

Diana Krall
Patricia Barber etc

can anyone recommend some more ?

Dec 1, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #6 of 23
mdameron-

Some great suggestions above. Here are some more ideas:

McCoy Tyner. Lots to choose from, but I have and like the Blue Note Jazz Profile and more recently New York Reunion, McCoy Tyner Quartet

John Hicks Trio. I have one you won't likely find that was recorded locally, but there are a number of earlier records and a nice Mapleshade recording called a Single Pedal of a Rose with flute added to the trio.

Geri Allen. Woman pianist with a great recent disc called The Life of a Song with Dave Holland on bass and Jack DeJohnette on drums.

Oscar Peterson. Lots to choose from again, but try Skol (with violinist Stephane Grappelli) and Tristeza, and Timekeepers: Count Basie Meets Oscar Peterson.

Harry Connick Jr. Trio. Lofty's Roach Souffle.

Dave Brubeck. Add Jazz at Oberlin.

Bill Evans. Add Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Waltz For Debby, Everybody Digs Bill Evans.

Enjoy some good jazz!

Dec 1, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 23
Some recent music - the natural home of Bill Evans inspired piano trios seems to be the ECM label:
Bobo Stenson Trio - Serenity or War Orphans (superb lyrical playing and two of the best releases of recent years, but you can't go wrong with any of his trio albums)
Keith Jarrett Trio - Whisper Not (I would have thought this trio was usually considered top of the currently operating pile and any of their many many releases would do)
Tord Gustavsen Trio - The Ground (probably the most hauntingly lyrical of the younger artists operating, this lot are getting very positive reviews)
Wasilewski, Kurkiewicz, Miskiewicz - Trio (Tomasz Stanko's backing group out on their own, and sounding superb - love the rendition of Bjorks' Hyperballad)

and away from ECM:
Esbjörn Svensson Trio - Strange Place For Snow (more rock based in its use of riffs, quirkily memorable tunes and at times subtle electronics)
Brad Mehldau Trio - Day is Done (Seems harder driven than most of his previous CDS, which also set very high standards. Mehldau is at home using Radiohead as a source for improvisation among other adventurous choices)
Bad Plus - Give (I add this as many like their rock orientated sonic assault but I must admit I find it a little unsubtle)

So thats a few choices from the last few years - the trio format seems to be undergoing a kind of resurgence in interest lately.

Dec 1, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdameron
I just found out that I like piano jazz! Basically a piano, string bass, and drums... other instruments are fine too... but the string bass and piano are a must! My buddy who plays jazz sax recommended Gene Harris, but what are other good artists/albums out there? I can rent 5 cd's at a time from the university library, so keep the recommendations coming!

Thanks!!!

If you are new to jazz, you shoudl get grounded in the masters first. I agree with Aman on Monk, but even before that, listen to:

Earl Hines
Duke Ellington
Bud Powell
Art Tatum

These four were among the fathers of modern jazz piano (before bebop and free jazz and fusion).

Dec 1, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 23
E.S.T., Bad Plus, and Mehldau are great places to start for people who are used to rock.

The pretty much univerally acclaimed jazz piano trio of all time in the Bill Evans trio. You can now buy "the Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings." Essential stuff.

Keith Jarrrett is also a huge fave. Anything with Standards in the title will do.

Definitely get some Monk, most of his best work was with atleast a few horns though. I suggest Monk's Music, or Brilliant Corners, or anything else on Riverside records.

Good luck.

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 23
Amazing. I have nothing else to suggest, because the lists above are right in my sweet spot!

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 23
I think that Mehldau and EST are good places to start for exactly that reason too - and with enough depth to keep you listening beyond being just an introduction to the genre. And it doesn't really matter if you know your history or not at first - the examples I gave are all top rate whether you have heard of Bill Evans or not. Of course if you get into piano trio jazz you will inevitably meet Evans, and noone has done it better than on albums such as Waltz for Debbie and Sunday at the Village Vanguard.

And support for Monk as well - now there is a truly original genius. If he doesn't convert you to piano based jazz no one can. And this time I struggle to name any modern disciples so would have to agree to go with the dead guy rather than my principle of supporting the living!

Dec 1, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 23
You guys are awesome... I just checked out 5 cd's from the audio library... I'll try out all the mentioned ones! Thanks a lot!

Dec 2, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
I like Female Vocal Piano Jazz with Guitar
smily_headphones1.gif

Diana Krall
Patricia Barber etc

can anyone recommend some more ?

I like Krall and Barber too. I think if you like them you may also enjoy

Jacqui Naylor "Shelter"
Cassandra Wilson "New Moon Daughter"
Rebecca Pidgeon "The Raven"