Jazz and bass.
Mar 3, 2005 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

comabereni

1000+ Head-Fier
Having added a nice Infinity 12" subwoofer to my loudspeaker system somewhat recently, I think it is classic jazz that has benefitted the most. Perhaps it's a false impression, but it seems to me a lot of jazz'philes are also self-declared non-bassheads. If so, I wonder why?

-coma

Mar 3, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 8
Actually, us Jazzheads have been stereotyped as being "self-declared non-bassheads," when in fact we actually love good, clean, musical, tight, tuneful bass. The stereotypical "basshead" refers to one who loves bloated, boomy, muddy, overboosted, one-noted bass.

Mar 3, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 8
I love jazz and I love bass. I added a REL Q108 to my system and couldn't be happier. To me bass is a big part of jazz. It is one of the constants, along with drums in most of the jazz I listen to.

Mar 3, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
[snip] in fact we actually love good, clean, musical, tight, tuneful bass.

Great description. I know I'll never be able to go back to 50-60Hz on the bottom end jazz again. I always talked myself out of a sub for purist reasons, but now I know I was deceived.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I love jazz and I love bass. I added a REL Q108 to my system and couldn't be happier. To me bass is a big part of jazz. It is one of the constants, along with drums in most of the jazz I listen to.

I listened to a couple Miles Davis albums today. I never realized before how dominant and important low bass (string bass, drums, etc.) was to many of the pieces I've come to enjoy. Anyway, I'm hooked.

-coma

Mar 3, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
I listened to a couple Miles Davis albums today. I never realized before how dominant and important low bass (string bass, drums, etc.) was to many of the pieces I've come to enjoy. Anyway, I'm hooked.

-coma

One of the key transformations of post-bop Jazz in the late 50s was the sudden advancement of the standup bass as a melodic instrument. Go check out some classic Charlie Haden along with all these other recommendations. Ornette Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come with Haden's sinuous bassline on "Lonely Woman" has got to be in the top five bass classics. Other places might be Haden's colaboration with Chris Anderson on None but the Lonely Heart or another high quality NAIM recording of Haden with collaborator English pianist John Taylor in the recent Nightfall .

Mar 3, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis
(...) or another high quality NAIM recording of Haden with collaborator English pianist John Taylor in the recent Nightfall .

Thanks for the info about this one. I realy like Taylor but just learnt about this Cd from reading your post.

Another import $$$$$$$$$$$$$...........
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Mar 3, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 8
Mingus... AH UM!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back