Jazz 2002: New Releases, Re-Issues, Up-Coming, etc. WARNING: Miles-free Zone
Jun 3, 2002 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

BenG

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of picking up Dave Douglas 'The Infinite'(supposed to be recorded in DSD, Chris Potter on there)

Interested in thoughts on Kenny Garrett 'Happy People'.

& I'm particularily interested in the Dave Holland Big-Band CD that is supposed to come out later this year. I will look forward to seeing them when they swing by here as well. Isn't the Quintet supposed to come out with a Live CD too?

Haven't seen alot of notable re-issues as of late, although I'm really glad they finally re-issued Stanley Turrentine 'Sugar' - some easier listening with bite.

So have it & Keep jazz alive on Head-fi, Miles-free for a change
eek.gif

Jun 3, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 26
"The Infinite" is very good - not one of Dave Douglas' best albums, but high quality stuff. IMO most anything with Chris Potter on it is worth picking up.

I know you said you wanted this to be a Miles free zone - but "The Infinite" definitely has a Miles vibe and is very influenced by the late incarnation of Miles second classic quintet with Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and Tony Williams during the time when Herbie first began to tinker around on the Fender Rhodes.

Kenny Garrett's "Happy People" is an interesting album. On the whole it is a solid if not spectacular album. IMO the second half of the album is very good and is comparable to Kenny's album "Songbook". The first half of the album however, contains two tracks with cheesy R&B type vocals which seem to be a blatant attempt to achieve success on popular radio. If you cut those two tracks out, though, you are left with a good album.

I went to see the Dave Holland quintet in Atlanta a few months ago and got a chance to speak to Robin Eubanks. He told me that Dave Holland extensively recorded the group live at Birdland recently and was going to give EMC a chance to release those recordings. If EMC doesn't release them - I don't know if Holland would be able to release them or not. Obviously, I hope they will get released in one form or another. The Dave Holland quintet is the best working jazz band today IMO and they sound even better live than they do in their studio albums.

Jun 4, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #3 of 26
The Miles-free reference was a light hearted poke at the threads that have been mostly Miles - no one is going to deny the influence of Miles on newer music.

I hear a electric Miles influence as well in the limited exposure I've had to the 'The Infinite'

As far as the Holland Quintet, ECM has to release those Live recordings as some sort of live document of this group. If not, I hope Holland puts some mp3s on his site, we shall see. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see them atleast once, and I wasn't dissapointed.

Jun 8, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 26
Holland is playing later this month at Vancouver Jazz. I was hoping to make it up to see him, but it isn't going to happen.

The only albums I have featuring Chris Potter are the Hollands Quintet's Not for Nuthin' and Prime Directive. Any recommendations for other stuff he's done?

greg.

Jun 8, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by zend
The only albums I have featuring Chris Potter are the Hollands Quintet's Not for Nuthin' and Prime Directive. Any recommendations for other stuff he's done?

greg.

As a leader:

"Gratitude" (Verve) (his most recent album)
"Vertigo" (Concord) (w/ Joe Lovano)
"Unspoken" (Concord)

As a sideman:

Dave Douglas - "Magic Triangle" (Arabesque)
Dave Douglas - "Leap of Faith" (Arabesque)
Dave Douglas - "Infinity" (RCA)
Scott Colley - "Subliminal" (Criss Cross)
Scott Colley - "The Magic Line" (Arabesque)
Billy Drummond - "Dubai" (Criss Cross)

IMO he plays better as a sideman than as a leader so far.

Jun 9, 2002 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Milestones

As a leader:
As a sideman:
...IMO he plays better as a sideman than as a leader so far.

Thanks for the list. Can either of you recommend a couple of specific selections? I'm not familiar with any of the artists you mentioned.

Thanks.

Jun 9, 2002 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 26
I can recommend Scott Colley very highly. He has an excellent new CD out called "Initial Wisdom" on Palmetto. Ravi Coltrane plays tenor/soprano. I'm generally not a big fan of his (nope, he doesn't remind you of his father, BTW), but on this release he plays with more bite and compassion than he normally does. The recording is excellent, too.

I'm not a big fan of the new Dave Douglas stuff. I tend to prefer his older stuff, especially with his string band and the Tiny Bell Trio. Unfortunately, this stuff is becoming somewhat hard to find.

Jun 10, 2002 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by wallstreet
What would you say is some of Dave Douglas's better stuff?

I think two of his better albums are:

"In Our Lifetime" (New World) (Dave Douglas Sextet)
"Charms of the Night Sky" (Winter & Winter) (trumpet, accordion, violin, and bass)

Of course I am also a big fan of the Dave Douglas quartet albums listed above. Douglas works with Chris Potter (two quartet albums with bass and drums, and "The Infinite" which adds keyboards to make a quintet) tends to be more focused on pure improvisation while his works with his other groups tends to revolve more around the compositions and tends to emphasize shadings and textures over burning improv.

If you want to hear Dave Douglas best trumpet playing IMO - check out his work as a sideman with John Zorn's Masada quartet. Masada is a group with trumpet, alto sax., bass and drums which combines Ornette Colemanesque free jazz with Jewish Klezmer music. There are several excellent live albums of Masada released on Zorn's Tzadik label. IMO the best of these are "Live in Sevilla" and "Live at Tonic" - but they are all excellent.

Jun 10, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by zend

Thanks for the list. Can either of you recommend a couple of specific selections? I'm not familiar with any of the artists you mentioned.

Thanks.

Take your pick. All of the Potter sideman albums I listed are excellent IMO. Pick up a couple of them and if you like what you hear - check out some more.

Jun 10, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Milestones

If you want to hear Dave Douglas best trumpet playing IMO - check out his work as a sideman with John Zorn's Masada quartet. Masada is a group with trumpet, alto sax., bass and drums which combines Ornette Colemanesque free jazz with Jewish Klezmer music. There are several excellent live albums of Masada released on Zorn's Tzadik label. IMO the best of these are "Live in Sevilla" and "Live at Tonic" - but they are all excellent.

Great recommendations. Thanks.

I didn't realize Dave Douglas played with Masada. I've got a few Masada cd's which I love, though my wife thinks they are cacophonous.

In the Klezmer category, I also like the Klezmatics, who aren't as challenging to listen to as Masada, and are just plain fun.

greg.

Jun 10, 2002 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 26
Here are my favorite Dave Douglas recordings:

1. Dave Douglas String Group--Convergence (Soul Note) and Five (Soul Note). Five is by far my favorite Douglas album by my favorite Douglas group, the String Group. Convergence is an overlooked masterpiece, too. Both the playing and writing are challenging but accessible. My favorite downtown drummer appears on both, Michael Sarin.

2. Tiny Bell Trio--Constellations (HatHut) and the Tiny Bell Trio (Songlines). Both great records, with Douglas' conception, arrangements, and playing all standout. Also great is drummer Jim Black. I wasn't moved by their last CD, Songs for Wandering Souls (Winter & Winter). Given that Douglas hasn't returned to the Tiny Bell Trio in some time, I believe that the concept has somewhat run out of steam.

3. In Our Lifetime (New World)--Douglas' tribute to Booker Little, with some of Little's compositions included. Another masterpiece, much better than his other tribute albums (to Wayne Shorter and Joni Mitchell).

4. Soul on Soul (RCA)-The best of his work on RCA. Again, great writing, playing, and group make this one of his best records.

Hope this helps. Two other artists that are, IMHO, overlooked and worthy of investigation are Myra Melford and Marty Ehrlich (in fact, Dave Douglas has played with Melford). If you like Douglas, I guarantee that you will like both Melford and Ehrlich.

Jun 10, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #14 of 26
Well, if your tastes are more conservative I would go with

'Soul on Soul' & 'Charms of Night Sky' as good primers, though none of this guy's music was really easy listening up untill that point in his recording career. After 'Soul', his CDs seem to sound more mainstream. I picked up 'Infinite', so far so good, though not quite up to his earlier CDs imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back