Jaybird x3 vs sony XB950bt
Dec 13, 2016 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mark4197

New Head-Fier
hey, 
the Jaybird x3 and the sony xb950bt both cost 130$, and i cant decide wich one do i want. i need headphones for travel, and i cant decide if i prefer over ear or iem. so i decided that the sound quality should be the determining factor. can you help me please?

(if you have other suggestions for wireless, bass headphones, ~130$,  please let me know)  
Sony-MDR-XB950BT.gif
520690-jaybird-x3-nda-oct-27.jpg

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 7
I went through this same dilemma but I don't think sound quality should be your first consideration. I am a relative novice in all this but in-ear buds vs over-ear headphones are totally different experiences. Your first consideration is which type you are more comfortable with. From there, try to get the best sound quality.

I travel a couple times a year, long hauls by plane and I've found the in-ear buds can get uncomfortable especially with the pressure changes. I also find in-ear buds just more difficult for me to deal with because I have small ear canals. However, i do own a pair of the X3's and I use them at work and walking around campus because I just feel self-conscious with giant over-the-ear headphones on. The X3's sound very good especially with their phone app to adjust the sound. They aren't perfect for me for those aforementioned reasons. 

For travel, hands down, the over-the-ear are the better choice - especially on planes. You get the passive noise canceling of just wearing ear cups that cover your entire ear. You can then add active noise canceling to further drown out that engine hum. To top it off, they are just more comfortable. They even warm your ears a bit - planes are cold! 

That's my take from an inexperienced audiophile. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 7
  I went through this same dilemma but I don't think sound quality should be your first consideration. I am a relative novice in all this but in-ear buds vs over-ear headphones are totally different experiences. Your first consideration is which type you are more comfortable with. From there, try to get the best sound quality.

I travel a couple times a year, long hauls by plane and I've found the in-ear buds can get uncomfortable especially with the pressure changes. I also find in-ear buds just more difficult for me to deal with because I have small ear canals. However, i do own a pair of the X3's and I use them at work and walking around campus because I just feel self-conscious with giant over-the-ear headphones on. The X3's sound very good especially with their phone app to adjust the sound. They aren't perfect for me for those aforementioned reasons. 

For travel, hands down, the over-the-ear are the better choice - especially on planes. You get the passive noise canceling of just wearing ear cups that cover your entire ear. You can then add active noise canceling to further drown out that engine hum. To top it off, they are just more comfortable. They even warm your ears a bit - planes are cold! 

That's my take from an inexperienced audiophile. 

Thanks for the reply! 
I don't fly so often, but im using a lot of busses&trains, i own the Sennheiser HD25-1 II, and i find it very annoying to cary this pair arround in my bag. Its unfortunate because i really like how they sound.

I got few small questions that will really help me to decide wich pair to buy, and i would appreciate if you can answer me:

1. Do you think that the X3's got warm sound or over-powered bass (like Beats headphones)?
2. How is the battery life?
3. Are you having cuts in the music while using them?
4. Are they comfortable enough for long use? (3-5 hours)
5. How is the isolation if you play at 70% volume?

Thanks a lot for helping me, and sorry for my lame English
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 7
  I got few small questions that will really help me to decide wich pair to buy, and i would appreciate if you can answer me:

1. Do you think that the X3's got warm sound or over-powered bass (like Beats headphones)?
2. How is the battery life?
3. Are you having cuts in the music while using them?
4. Are they comfortable enough for long use? (3-5 hours)
5. How is the isolation if you play at 70% volume?

Thanks a lot for helping me, and sorry for my lame English
smily_headphones1.gif

1) I don't think they have overpowering bass. In fact, I think it's hard to get a lot of bass out of them. You can tune this using the app.
2) Battery life has been excellent for me. I haven't actually run them down. I get about 2-3 hours on 20% of the battery life.
3) No. They stay connected to my phone (Android) very well.
4) Here is where it gets personal. For me, I don't think they are comfortable for more than 1-2 hours but I find all earbuds to be uncomfortable that soon. They come with both rubber and foam inserts which gives you two options.
5) If you can get a good fit, particularly with the foam, they are going to easily isolate sound at 70%.

Lame English? If you are actually a native speaker of another language and this is your English, you are doing fine!

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 7

1) I don't think they have overpowering bass. In fact, I think it's hard to get a lot of bass out of them. You can tune this using the app.
2) Battery life has been excellent for me. I haven't actually run them down. I get about 2-3 hours on 20% of the battery life.
3) No. They stay connected to my phone (Android) very well.
4) Here is where it gets personal. For me, I don't think they are comfortable for more than 1-2 hours but I find all earbuds to be uncomfortable that soon. They come with both rubber and foam inserts which gives you two options.
5) If you can get a good fit, particularly with the foam, they are going to easily isolate sound at 70%.

Lame English? If you are actually a native speaker of another language and this is your English, you are doing fine!

There is not too much information on the internet about the X3's except from how they sound good (with no details) or complaints that the charging cradle is annoying.
Thanks a lot! You gave me a lot of useful info! 

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 7
Yes, I agree. The charging cable and adapter are annoying. I don't know why they designed it so poorly. It's not something that would change my mind about buying them though. I just have to be careful not to lose it. I think it's $25 for a new one.

May 13, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 7
Yes, I agree. The charging cable and adapter are annoying. I don't know why they designed it so poorly. It's not something that would change my mind about buying them though. I just have to be careful not to lose it. I think it's $25 for a new one.
$9.95 buys you a replacement kit with the charging clip, another pouch, set of wings (all 3 sizes), set of silicon tips (all 3 sizes) but none of the isolation comply tips. I bought a set of Sport Pro Comply tips (3 sets of my size) and prefer them to what came with the X3s. Be careful of ordering comply tips, you probablydon't want the pack with one set of each size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back