Jaybird X2 - Fake / Counterfeit vs. Real / Authentic
May 7, 2016 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
I recently purchased Jaybird X2 from Amazon twice.  One was fake and one was real.  

There are subtle differences between the two.  The fake looks pretty convincing otherwise, unless you know what to look for.  Sound quality-wise, the Real one is definitely better.  The Fake one had a high pitched noise present when idle and channel imbalance.  The Bass with the Fake was also boomier and sloppier compared to the Real ones.  

Here are pics to show the difference between Fake and Real.  The audio prompts are different as well, check out this other person's video to hear the difference.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RHRrVgTy-8

The filter is stuck on the end of the Ear Tip Bore with the Fake.  The real one is recessed and inside the Ear Tip Bore.

On the cable towards the Left Side (opposite of the Controller) the Real one starts with "X2 FCC ID:XX8-BBX1" in smaller font.  The Fake does Not start with "X2".

The Fake micro USB Charging port is not as recessed as the Real one and is also flipped 180 degrees.  The plastic is more shiny and textured on the Real one near the charge port.

TL;DR, try to buy from Amazon as the seller, and not "Fullfilled by Amazon".  Otherwise, I hope these pics help out those out shopping deals that may end up as scams.

-Ed

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #3 of 10
I embarrassingly ended up with fake ones as well from Amazon. The seller name was "Minico" and here is the link to their store front https://www.amazon.com/s?marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A2U2S4ZO5AJ6KZ&merchant=A2U2S4ZO5AJ6KZ&redirect=true

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 10
Are you 100% sure?

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 10
Had the same as above, fcc and everything, I was pissed spending money for fakes so I got in contact with Jaybird and they said that mine were authentic, Jaybird explained that they came from a different manufacturing year as the ones with the FCC were the first produced X2. The second one in the photo are the more updated release for 2016. Dont be fooled on prices from Amazon deals etc. they are just selling the left over first models. Especially from a highly rated Seller. If you don't believe this post contact Jaybird yourself 1.866.244.3399 they also have a free live chat option.

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 10
I just received mine that I purchase on Amazon and they are fake. Further more, I contacted Jaybird support using the live chat and told them about my concern. First thing they asked me was "Does yours start with FCC on the wire" which I confirmed that they do and they said "Yes you got the counterfeit ones, sorry.".
Amazon already provided return shipping label and refunded me the money in advance. The seller name is EzDeal.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for the thread / heads up!

I plan on snagging some X2s since they are pretty cheap right now ($75-85 on eBay) and will certainly use this to determine if I get real ones or not. Anyone have a trusted eBay seller for real ones?

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Does the logo on the earphones themselves determine if they are real or not? I see the X2s for real ones have a flush, shiny black logo when the fake ones have a raised, silver logo?

Or are they both legit and it just differs from production year? That's really the only thing I can concentrate on---- looking at online listings, no? Seems the cable markings, USB micro charging port, and filer port would be something I'd have to wait until I receive the package to inspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back