Jaybird Bluebuds X bluetooth IEM's
Aug 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

ZMan2k2

1000+ Head-Fier
So I've been looking around for a new set of earbuds, as I'm sick of streaming radio to my standard Bluetooth single ear piece.  After reading all the positive reviews on the Jaybird website, I felt comfortable purchasing a set.  Here's my one day of use review. 

These are not critical listening buds.  They have a V-shaped sound, which I like, but others may not.  The bluetooth is fantastic on these, as I can move around 40 feet away from my phone, with walls in the way, and still listen to them without breaking up.  I used them yesterday at work, I'm a lettercarrier postman, and didn't use the secure fit attachements that fit in the corners of your ear above the ear canal.  I wish I had.  The silicone, when you sweat, gets slippery, and I was constantly pushing them back in my ears.  I'm trying them with the secure fit attachments today, and I'll update the thread with the staying power of them with the silicone secure fit pieces on them.  I ordered a set of comply foams Tx500's as well, so that should help in the staying power of these headphones as well, I just haven't received them yet. 

As for function, they work quite well. the built in mic for phone calls is clear, and the volume buttons work separately from the volume button on the phone.  So you set the volume to max on the phone, and then adjust the volume on the headphones.  The call button works with my Samsung Note II letting me voice dial, all I have to do is hold the dial button for a second, and it brings up the Samsung Voice app, and I can dial or send a text with no issues.

As said before, these are almost basshead earphones.  The V-shaped sound is good for workouts, as the sound is smooth and non fatiguing.  I used them for 5 hours yesterday without battery problems either.  They advertise an 8-hour battery, and at 5 hours, I was well within the advertised limit but never heard a warning of low battery.  They also charge quickly with a standard micro USB cable. 

The last reason I picked these is that they are sweat proof.  I sweat a lot with my job, and I feel that with the rain I work in they should still work too.  They stick out of your ears a bit, but overall don't look crazy. 

In the end, I'm happy with the first day performance of them, and as I said, I'll update the thread with the silicone secure fit pieces, to let people know how well they work in keeping the buds where they should be. 

If you're in the market for a bluetooth headset, these should take a serious look, as the function is pretty good, just without the secure fit pieces, they tend to slip out of your ears.  I recommend them with to those who work out, and those with jobs like mine, that you can wear earbuds, and sweat a lot during the work day.

Lastly, I had them shipped to Canada, and the price was 170 for the buds, 30 for shipping, and 15 in duties shipped through FedEx.  They ship quick, as I ordered them on Friday, and had them the Tuesday after a long weekend in Canada.

I'll try to answer any questions as well, as these are a new product, and many may not have them, or have had a chance to hear them.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 78
I also picked up a set of these to use while I'm working out. They sound great with full rich bass. The highs seem a little rolled off but I'd rather have it that way then the opposite. The earbuds are pretty big though so I'm not sure they will fit everybody's ears. Paired with the TX 500 tips makes all the difference. They work well for working out and not having to worry about the cable being caught on a weight machine is a relief. I pair mine with my iPhone 5. The only thing I don't like is the audible feedback every time I hit a button.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 78
I have had mine since they first came out. I use t500 with them. In my opinion they are no where near basshead levels at all. It's definitely not flat/neutral but my asg-2 with bass port completely closed has more bass than these. Range is great, batter life is good, and durability is great too. I've worked out in them regularly and use them at work almost everyday. They are still like new and hold a charge well.

PS. They have awesome customer service. I thought I lost my ear tips and they sent me new ones for free. Although I have to say those tips did not say on the IEM too well. I haven't had any issues after switching to t500 complys though.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 78
Well, today was the first day using the silicone ear "wraps", and the staying power was much better.  I don't like silicone ear pieces, but these ones are pretty soft.  I was impressed with them, and the fact they stayed with the ear "wrap" additions were great.  I'm a fan, and I use these outdoors everyday as a letter carrier.  Walking today, we had a small shower, and these just kept putting out the music.  I had no worries about problems, as they say they are sweat proof.  Well, I can say they are rain proof too.  I'm pleased with the performance, and I think it's good value for the money.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 78
Quote:
Well, today was the first day using the silicone ear "wraps", and the staying power was much better.  I don't like silicone ear pieces, but these ones are pretty soft.  I was impressed with them, and the fact they stayed with the ear "wrap" additions were great.  I'm a fan, and I use these outdoors everyday as a letter carrier.  Walking today, we had a small shower, and these just kept putting out the music.  I had no worries about problems, as they say they are sweat proof.  Well, I can say they are rain proof too.  I'm pleased with the performance, and I think it's good value for the money.

I think Jaybird calls them "wings", but my opinion on them is that they work great but can become irritating. They started to make my ears sore at the point of contact with the wings. I ended up switching to comply and getting rid of the wings.

Also, the mic works well, unless you wear it over the ear. In which case you have to scream for the mic to pick up what you're saying.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 78
I like mine. I use them when walking. Not sure I've found the perfect combo of wing and tip but I'm still experimenting. Fit is key to getting decent sound from them. They will sound thin if insertion is not good. Very convenient being wireless and the phone function works which is a bonus.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 78
Quote:
I think Jaybird calls them "wings", but my opinion on them is that they work great but can become irritating. They started to make my ears sore at the point of contact with the wings. I ended up switching to comply and getting rid of the wings.

Also, the mic works well, unless you wear it over the ear. In which case you have to scream for the mic to pick up what you're saying.

So you don't need the "wings" with the comply tips?  Nice.  I may leave them on though, because I do walk a lot with my job, like 7 miles a day, and the extra security will keep me from constantly pushing them back in my ears. 

I agree the mic works well, I had to make an emergency phone call to my wife yesterday, no beer in the fridge
eek.gif
, and even with the wind, she heard me fine.  That's something that my old Jawbone earpiece couldn't do.  Speaking of wind, there's like no cable noise with these.  Even with the wind yesterday, there was a minor wind noise sound on the silent parts of my music, but nothing to distract.  I can't wait for my comply's to come in, as I hate silicone tips.  They always seem to slide out of my ears, especially while I'm sweating while working.  They should be here monday.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 78
Quote:
So you don't need the "wings" with the comply tips?  Nice.  I may leave them on though, because I do walk a lot with my job, like 7 miles a day, and the extra security will keep me from constantly pushing them back in my ears. 

I agree the mic works well, I had to make an emergency phone call to my wife yesterday, no beer in the fridge
eek.gif
, and even with the wind, she heard me fine.  That's something that my old Jawbone earpiece couldn't do.  Speaking of wind, there's like no cable noise with these.  Even with the wind yesterday, there was a minor wind noise sound on the silent parts of my music, but nothing to distract.  I can't wait for my comply's to come in, as I hate silicone tips.  They always seem to slide out of my ears, especially while I'm sweating while working.  They should be here monday.

Nope, no wings needed with comply. I use it when I go running and working out and pretty much everything else. Never had it fall out once.

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #10 of 78
Well, it's been 3 days with the Comply tips, and I must say it made a difference.  With the silicone tips, and sweating at work, I found the buds would slip out of my ears.  I didn't need the distraction while delivering mail of pushing the buds back in my ears every 5 minutes from sweating at work.  The complys keep the buds in place, and the sound is better.  They aren't bass head headphones, but the sound is pleasing to me.  They don't dig as deep as my CKS-77s', but they do get the low notes.  And they stay in with the Comply tips.  Overall, I'm pleased with them.  The pause button works while streaming music with the TuneIn Radio Pro app on my Note II, so I can keep them in, and still interact with customers at the door.  I`m still using the wings, as I like the extra security while walking, and the fit is comfortable with them in. 

Overall, I recommend these buds with a purchase of Comply T or Tx500 tips if you`re looking for a bluetooth solution to wireless listening and call taking while on the go.  You won`t be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back