JAVS nano V
May 18, 2010 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vhobhstr

100+ Head-Fier
This thread is for discussing the JAVS nano V.

My own questions:
The JAVS nano S (also known as Dr. DAC nano) has been noted to have some hiss.  Is the nano V silent when it's supposed to be?
Otherwise, how does the nano V sound (through the headphone port) compared to the nano S?
The nano V has volume controls on it.  Can the volume still be adjusted with the volume controls on my Mac keyboard?
Will the nano V drive AKG K701 headphones to sufficient volume levels?

May 18, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 5
I don't think these DACs have sufficient juice to drive the K701 properly.
The Nano-S features an AD8397 opamp (a pretty powerful opamp), the same as my AMB Mini3 portable headamp.

Mini3 does provide sufficient loudness for K701, but I don't consider it powerful enough for them.

The Javs DAC can only do worse than Mini3, which is a 3 channel active ground design, vastly superior to entry level opamp implementations.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 5
I received my JAVS Nano S and there is no hiss.  It mounts easily an both Mac and PC.  The sound quality is astounding.  It can be controlled via PC/Mac sound level controls.  The output is more than adequate to drive my headphones to painful levels.  In short, it does exactly what it's supposed to.  A solid little product.  I did not know what to expect when I ordered it, but I have been pleasantly surprised.  

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Well, I have a Dr. DAC nano, I heard its the same as the JAVS, it drives my K701 fine, to the max volume I can stand on them. The resolution that this DAC gives you is great, but still, if you want to get all the juice out of those headphones you will need a good amp. The DAC do drives it with a good sound signature, nothing special, better than my soundcard, with a bit less bass impac, but more clarity and better defined soundstage. I thinke this is the only DAC I will ever need, now I can invest in better amps, the total bithead didn't made the trick for me...

May 23, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm going to second the sound quality of the Javs Nano V, Its great.  Realistic sound staging, very detailed, no noise what so ever (I check to see if there was any filtering in the output and it appears there is none).  Its funny when you make something with quality parts and engineer the circuit correctly you get a quality product that sounds very good.  Being made in Korea and not china helps.  I was using a Sound Device USBpre 2 for my reference DAC and the Javs keeps up with it.  Works great with HD650, dt48s, Grados as well as Sony v6s.   I would very much recommend this setup to any one staring out.  For under $200 best system hands down, Javs Nano V and Sony v6, professional quality monitoring with a little fun sound attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back