Japanese Scientist Invents Invisibility Cloak
Feb 14, 2003 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 14
... that's pretty damn cool ...

I need to get one of those..
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 14, 2003 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 14
someone sent me the link a week or so ago. i thought the picture looked fake. anyone have any idea how it works?

Feb 14, 2003 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 14
The article says that the picture is fake.

"The photograph was taken through a viewfinder that uses a combination of moving images taken behind the wearer to give a transparent effect."

Translation: You have to be looking through a special viewfinder that has a camera both in front of and behind the subject. Doesn't work on the naked eye...yet
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2003 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 14
"Ron! Ron! Wake up! Wake up! I've got to show you something!" Actually, I think that they've also discovered the Japanese Pat -- you know, that SNL character that nobody can figure out is a guy or a girl? I think it would be more effective just to move the person so we can see what's behind him. After all, would you want to be a patient of a surgeon who cannot see his hands or surgical tools?

Feb 14, 2003 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 14
Um, the idea is to see past his hands/gloves so that the surgeon can actually see what he's cutting.

Feb 14, 2003 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 14
Like the article pointed out, it would work great for pilots so the floor of the cockpit would appear transparent.

Cool idea
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 14
Ghost in the Shell = cool.

I want me a magical invisible coat, too.. My pyramid rocket of death will have to tide me over.
smily_headphones1.gif

(for those who want to know: It's going to be powered by a 38mm, H123 engine, maybe higher power if it fits
evil_smiley.gif
)

Feb 14, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #14 of 14
I have no idea whether or not the REAL research has gotten anywhere, but the description of the picture plainly tells me that it's "fake" and not an accurate depiction of the technology actually being researched. The picture is only there to give you an idea of how it may eventually look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back