Japanese Pirates ARGGGGG
May 19, 2009 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

boozcool

1000+ Head-Fier
So here I am in Japan, in the local book store, and I notice that they have a huge music section where you can rent CDs for days at a time for only roughly $2-$3. But the real kicker is that they have CD burners and blank CDs right next to the CD collection, and its pretty obvious that they are actually promoting piracy
ph34r.gif

Upon further thought, though, this doesn't seem like that bad of an idea. I mean, this service offers a MASSIVE revenue source for the music industry, and strikes a balance between outright piracy and victimization by the record industry's greed
Thoughts?
o2smile.gif

May 19, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 24
pictures? do they sell original cd or pirated cd?

May 19, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 24
Ha ha.

In Hong Kong, back in the 1980s, the shops "rented" out CDs and LPs - but technically it works this way :- you "buy" a CD, and if you return the disc within the first 3 days, they will refund 90% of the listed price. What they then do is mark it as a 2nd hand disc - priced around 95% of the CD. The buy-return policy still applies. After the disc is relegated to 3rd / 4th hand status, they sell it off permanently around half the price of the original listed price.

Works quite well - and technically it isn't renting - just a very structured return policy.

May 19, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 24
This right here is why I want to go to Japan so badly. Random little things like this. Plus I actually like the music. Guess I'll have to settle for the second best thing (Book Off in NYC). Speaking of, you should look for a Book Off while you are there. Great place for good condition pre-owned CDs and other such goods.

May 20, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 24
Book Off is great, they have a huge one in the city I'm currently in, but I wonder how they came up with such a ridiculous name (kinda sounds like "F*@$ off")
With the Family Book here, twice a month they offer any DVD or CD rental for only $1. So theoretically you can get 15 albums for the price of 1

May 20, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 24
I like kabos or Tsutaya
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 24
Japan + Pirates = Ninja Pirates!
ph34r.gif

Do you know if its illegal to make a copies from rented music discs in Japan? Here in Finland it is not, you can make a copy for your own use.

May 21, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 24
There is an extensive CD section at my public library. Free CDs+Computer=Happy Man.

May 21, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Japan + Pirates = Ninja Pirates!
ph34r.gif

That's a conundrum, and you know it! Ninjas and Pirates are known Enemies!

Actually, now that this has been brought up, I seem to recall similar stores in India that do nearly the same thing with music, but also with DVDs and Games.

May 22, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #11 of 24
Technically, I'm not sure if it's illegal in Japan. I'd assume its not, considering they were selling the equipment and blank CDs right next to the rental section. But law enforcement is funny here, as there is usually ALWAYS a loophole and subsequent blatant disregard.
For example, its illegal to receive money from playing Pachinko, so there is a guy, literally, right next to the Pachinko parlor who trades the chips for money. Sometimes it seems like the police are there solely for symbolism more than anything else

May 22, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 24
Renting out CD's are hardly illegal. For all they do it at almost every library around here...
Having CD burners and stack of CD-R's next to it, clearly indicating what you can do with the rented CD's don't seem right though. Not right morally, if not illegal.

May 22, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Renting out CD's are hardly illegal. For all they do it at almost every library around here...

Your library don't charge a fee for lending out CDs, right?

May 22, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #14 of 24
here, too, you can borrow as many cds as you want from the library. the recording industry are unhappy of course. (Not to mention how unhappy they were about book lending, radio broadcasts, tape recordings........)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back