Japanese imports better??
Mar 30, 2007 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mmg_fan

New Head-Fier
While browsing the Stones CD collection at my local HMV, I noticed that a lot of them are available as Japanese digipack imports, on the ABKO label
the series is called 'Rolling Stones in the 60's.
http://www.universalmusicworld.jp/stones/

The price is what got me, 3-5X the domestic! Outrageous!
I asked a clerk if there was a difference in audio quality, and she said , yes, the Japanese imports are usually mastered at 24 bits while the domestic are mastered at 16 bits??

Is this true? Is there really a measurable difference in quality?
Or is it more prestige/bragging rights to say you have a japanese import?

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 25
Well, XRCD's are mostly made in Japan, but I have alot of Imported-Europe-to-Japan CD's which are no different from the American retail CD's. But if it's the higher bit rate CD, it would specifically say 20/24-bits.

In my opinion, there's very measurable quality between 24bits and 16bits, and as for the 24bit CD's which I've never heard in 16bits, I just have that placebo feeling that I must be getting excellent quality. Generally though, the orchestra sounds more brilliant, the guitar slides sharper, and the thumps more resonating.

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 25
That clerk is completely BS'ing you. Why would they master one at 24bit and another at 16bit? In the days of vinyl it was claimed Japanese imports had thicker vinyl but I doubt the sound quality was any better either. It's just a scam.

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That clerk is completely BS'ing you. Why would they master one at 24bit and another at 16bit?

Because on some they do. No BS.

Mar 30, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 25
Got any proof of that? In my search I see sometimes people claim the import cd sounds better but I think they just took a few too many placebos once again. We had the same BS back in the days of vinyl too.

http://www.flourella.net/strangelove...seversion.html

FAQ

Why are the Japanese CDs so expensive? Especially the CD singles?

Because they are expensive here too. Please understand that a new Japanese single costs as much as a new imported album here. Also a discount of new records is banned by law (to protect Japanese record industry against the imports) and they are not much cheaper even on secondhands.

In addition to that, the number of pressing of Japanese releases is very limited compared to the original British/American releases. Some of the Japanese singles are rather hard to get even when it's released!

And these make them ideal collectors' items. :)

I heard that sound quality of Japanese CDs is better than UK or US releases. Is it true?

Well, so say Japanese record companies but I'm not sure. All Japanese CDs are manufactured in Japan but the master discs come from abroad. The high quality control of Japanese factories is the source of the rumour, I suppose.
Also the quality control of 'used' CDs is strict here too! I sometimes receive an email from a surprised customer, saying "I bought a used CD from you but it was new!". Of course it's not. :)

May 1, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Polo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion Japanese pressing has a better sound, if I can get my hands on a Japanese cd of my choise, I always go for it and sometimes you've got a bonus track(s)

Agreed. They do something different, something better.
Cleaner, richer sound.

May 1, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #11 of 25
would standard CD players even play a 24-bit CD? thats alot more data to process, and a completely different process needed to play it.

EDIT: Maybe I could pick up so japanese pressed CD's when im in hong kong in the summer, not japan, but close. Is there a market to make profit?

May 3, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #13 of 25
In my experience the best sounding CD of any particular title is down to the mastering not the country of origin. The best sounding of CD Beggars Banquet may be a Japanese issue from 1988 and the best Let It Bleed a German issue from 2002. One reason for higher prices on imports, aside from the cost of importation, is the perceived value as a collectors item.

May 3, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 25
In 95% of cases, the *mastering* of domestic US and Japanese import CDs is the SAME. Yes, there are cases where the Japanese do re-issue some titles and do separate remasterings. But there's at least a 50% chance it could sound WORSE than the original USA remaster anyway.

I doubt you will find a mastering engineer anywhere these days who is not using 24-bit equipment in creating 16-bit CDs. In Asia, they like to make a big deal about "Super Bit Mapping", "24-bit processing", "XRCD", "DSD Mastered" etc. etc. because those consumers are obsessed with those things. But all those processes are used domestically here to master CDs, they just don't put it on the packaging because no one cares.

Be aware, unless you are buying a DVD-Audio disc for a DVD-player that supports it, you are NOT getting a "24-bit" CD. All CDs are 16 bits only. The advantage of processing the analog tape with 24-bit digital equipment is in terms of noise shaping and dithering. You do not end up with a "24-bit CD" at the end of the process, it's whittled down to crummy old 16 bits so it can play on your player.

The thing with Japanese CDs as others have mentioned is the superior production processes and quality control used in making the CDs. IMO, on very good equipment, there are *subtle* audible differences between a well-pressed and a badly-pressed CD featuring the same mastering. The differences between well and badly pressed discs are *measureable*, The question is are those measurable differences *audible*. I believe they are.

Flat-earthers and "bits-are-bits", "all digital and all CD players are the same" types scoff at people who make these claims, but I know what I'm hearing.

May 3, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Flat-earthers and "bits-are-bits", "all digital and all CD players are the same" types scoff at people who make these claims, but I know what I'm hearing.

Definitely count me as one of the scoffers
lambda.gif

Unless the CD has been remastered for the Japanese market or there is a defect in the CD, I can't believe that there is any difference at all in sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back