Japan noob needs help with sound leakage from HD439's and considering P7, DT48, AKG Q701, HP50
Feb 3, 2014 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

satori448

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody! I have been lurking for the last two months almost and finally decided to take the plunge and sign up. I hope that I have read enough to understand, at least somewhat vaguely, all the terminology and concepts behind headphones as I am also a complete noob at this, so I am hoping you can possibly help me out.

A little background information about myself. I live in Japan and have been checking out tons of headphones at Yodobashi Camera and Bic Camera, and the selection is just outstanding. The biggest problem is that the store itself, as I think many of you know, is louder than The Who's concert, so it really makes listening to new headphones extremely difficult as I can't tell how much leakage there is per say at a given level nor how good they really sound.

I work at a school and within a two to three meter radius, I have about 12 colleagues sitting near me, so I don't want to irritate anybody with noise from my cans and if I take off my Sennheiser HD 439's and just cover them with my hands I can hear significant leakage. I have asked a mate of mine to see if he can hear my music while I'm listening, which is IMHO NOT loud. For reference I am running my headphones out of my MacBook at the 5th to 6thbar, so not so loud but enough to drown out all the noise in the teacher's room and he can hear it from about two meters away. Am I naive to think that by getting some phones that are noise isolating like the P7, DT48, AKG Q701, HP50 (and maybe Momentum's depending on how they fit my ears) that people sitting around me would be less bothered by my music? I have taken my 439's to Yodobashi with me to try and compare but it's just too loud to objectively test it out.

More importantly, up until now, I've only owned Bose AE2's and their IEMs, both of which died horribly. The padding around the AE2's disintegrated into dust and the wiring on the IEM's broke away to the wire in 4-5 spots on both ears so I have had it with Bose. As far as sound goes, I never thought they were bad as they were both the first pairs of headphones and IEMs I ever really bought, but that shows the level we're starting from. I have to say I like my 439's better than both Bose and they were 3/4 cheaper I believe. 

I love the Dave Matthews Band and John Butler Trio for bands, Miles Davis, Weather Report, Lonnie Liston Smith, Herbie Hancock, and Chet Baker for Jazz, but also listen just as much to Thievery Corporation, Massive Attack, Cinematic Orchestra, Nitin Sawhney, Rob Garza, Nujabes, and also lots of Reggae from Bob Marley, Desmond Dekker, Burning Spear, Scratch Perry, Toots and the Maytals etc.... So, like many of you I listen to a wide variety of music. I think that any headphones I get will sound great considering my starting point.

Right now my two main questions are:

1) Would purchasing a set of the above mentioned headphones help with eliminating sound leakage like I have with my HD 439's? Because they're noise isolating, do they seal up better than the 439's?

2) Does anybody on here live in Japan and would be able to recommend stores in Kansai (Osaka/Kyoto) that are quieter than Yodobashi so I am actually able to hear (and enjoy!) the music?

If anybody could help me out with these questions, I'd really appreciate it. Cheers!

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 21
The first thing to note is that noise isolating/noise cancelling only applies to the user. Sound leakage is entirely different. Open-back headphones leak a lot of sound, for example the AKG Q701. If you want minimum sound leakage, look at closed-back headphones.

From the choices you gave there (and considering I've only tried or own the P7, Momentum and HP50), the Momentum IMO has the least sound leakage, though it's dependent on the fit. I recommend trying out how the Momentum fits around your ears, have fun! 
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 21
Sorry for the late response! Thank you for your help, too!

I have tried all of the headphones above except the HP50, haven't found it yet. Like many others I have nailed down my choices to the Momentum and P7. Biggest problem is the P7 is 450 out here on amazon and 500 in the stores. I'd almost rather get it in store than from an amazon third party seller.

I'll have to keep reading and listening to finally decide. Cheers!

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 21
Personally I really don't like the p7. I own the momentum and from demoing it seems to me that the hp50 beats the momentum overall and even at a slightly lower price. Take it with a grain of salt though.

Most closed headphones don't really like much if at all. My momentum don't leak at all.

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 21
  Personally I really don't like the p7. I own the momentum and from demoing it seems to me that the hp50 beats the momentum overall and even at a slightly lower price. Take it with a grain of salt though.

Most closed headphones don't really like much if at all. My momentum don't leak at all.

davidsh, just out of curiosity what don't you like about it? I haven't made up my mind either way and am going to go back again today after work and listen some more to both. I think they both sound incredible, but I'm not sure what I'm after so I'd like to listen some more. I think I'd also like to see how they fold up and the cases they fit into as I will be traveling with these. Do you travel with your Momentums? How do they fit into a carry on? Cheers for your help!

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 21
I think the p7 sounds off and lacks realism. Have only demoed them. But I have also heard that there are big inconsistencies in the B&W headphones and problems with  QC so perhaps they don't all sound the same.

I take my momentum to schoool every day. They don't fold up but I have no issue with that. If you can hear the hp50 I advice you to do so. If I could trade in my momentum for the hp50 I'd highly consider it.

Feb 6, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 21
Good luck & have fun.

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #10 of 21
Have you considered in-ear headphones?

Feb 6, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 21
Kraken, I have had them some old Bose pair and while I don't mind them, for long listenings I prefer over ear. What I do love about IEM's are their portability. Magic on that front, and I have tried a few but they're not on my radar right now. Since you mentioned them, what two or three pairs would you recommend that are within my budget of 300-400ish? Cheers!

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #12 of 21
My favorite universal IEMs are the Ultimate Ears 900, which goes for around $360. You can also try the Westone 4R or Audio Technica IM03. Since you also live in Japan, the IM03 can be easily tested or bought.

Feb 7, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #13 of 21
  Kraken, I have had them some old Bose pair and while I don't mind them, for long listenings I prefer over ear. What I do love about IEM's are their portability. Magic on that front, and I have tried a few but they're not on my radar right now. Since you mentioned them, what two or three pairs would you recommend that are within my budget of 300-400ish? Cheers!

I'm no IEM expert but there are two users around (joker and ClieOS) who have reviewed hundreds of IEMs.

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #15 of 21
No problem. All the best to you in your search!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back