Japan made 100v VS. US 115v.
Dec 4, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 12
i think using a 100V amp in the US with 110/120V will work but in all likelihood and according to what i have read will also shorten the lifespan of the amp.

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think using a 100V amp in the US with 110/120V will work but in all likelihood and according to what i have read will also shorten the lifespan of the amp.

Any info. on how the higher voltage affect the amp ? Any particular component is affected ?

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 12
If you use a Japanese amp amp in the US all voltages on the secondaries of the transformer will be off by 10% or more. Say the amp is supposed to get 100v input and the transformer should output 200v, if you feed it 115v you get 230v on the other side of the transformer and while some amps can handle it many don't as the parts are specced closely and not meant to take this kind of abuse. This is not recommended as a step down transformer costs next to nothing.

Dec 11, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you use a Japanese amp amp in the US all voltages on the secondaries of the transformer will be off by 10% or more. Say the amp is supposed to get 100v input and the transformer should output 200v, if you feed it 115v you get 230v on the other side of the transformer and while some amps can handle it many don't as the parts are specced closely and not meant to take this kind of abuse. This is not recommended as a step down transformer costs next to nothing.

Advice is taken seriously.
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any info. on how the higher voltage affect the amp ? Any particular component is affected ?

I'm going to take a wild guess and go with the transformer and any voltage regulators at that stage
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 12
In reality, aren't household lines given a tolerance of +/- 10%. So the designers would most likely include that in their safety margin.

So if your house line is putting out an actual 110v, you should be fine.

But like it has been said, why risk it when you can fix it for cheap.

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In reality, aren't household lines given a tolerance of +/- 10%. So the designers would most likely include that in their safety margin.

So if your house line is putting out an actual 110v, you should be fine.

But like it has been said, why risk it when you can fix it for cheap.

It depends on the design and the parts used but it's often -5%/+10% but I've seen equipment that would never handle more then 3-5%.

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 12
as spritzer mentioned, step down transformers are so inexpensive, it's crazy not to get one -- especially relative to the price of stax equipment. for $30 or so, you get the protection you need and ensure that the amp will sound its best.

look here: Power Converter - Step Up/Down Japan Transformers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back