Jandek
Jun 7, 2004 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
For those of you looking for something completely different...

I had heard of Jandek for a while, but it was not till last night that I actually became familiar with his music... or learned more about him.

A documentary on Jandek

If you don't know who Jandek is... how can I describe? Hmm... some quotes from a wonderful essay about Jandek:

Quote:

[size=xx-small]His album covers are devoid of any information. He has never issued a press kit, and never performed in public. He rejects all requests for interviews. They found the Unabomber, but so far, no Jandek.

On the positive side, Jandek is not pretentious. But he's not unpretentious. Neither adjective applies. He's an authentic human satellite, orbiting in a chilly weightless dimension thousands of miles from earth. And Jandek's music is not derivative. He seems to be a recording artist with no discernible influences. Some would call this "genius." And have.

The man understates the sheer horror of a Jandek record. 99.99999997% of all sentient life on the planet could not listen to three Jandek tunes all the way through.[/size]

Suffice it to say, his "music" is.... terrifying. Some of it is actually really good blues... some of it is... hardly listenable. The best I can describe him is... Jandek is the aural/musical equivalent of a David Lynch film.

Check it out.

- Chris

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
For those of you looking for something completely different...

I had heard of Jandek for a while, but it was not till last night that I actually became familiar with his music... or learned more about him.

A documentary on Jandek

If you don't know who Jandek is... how can I describe? Hmm... some quotes from a wonderful essay about Jandek:

Suffice it to say, his "music" is.... terrifying. Some of it is actually really good blues... some of it is... hardly listenable. The best I can describe him is... Jandek is the aural/musical equivalent of a David Lynch film.

Check it out.

- Chris

Ha, sounds ridiculous (in a good way). I think I will wait for someone to give me the cd to hear. I like the part about where he says: Quote:

The man understates the sheer horror of a Jandek record. 99.99999997% of all sentient life on the planet could not listen to three Jandek tunes all the way through.

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 11
Hey, no sweat, not intended as a thread crap! Actually cool to see someone else get turned on to Jandek. Although his sound is very singular, I do find many moods in his records. Did you catch a screening of the doc? I've yet to see it.

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 11
Just like you said Minya, the guy can actually play the blues when he wants to, but most of the time he's just strange and creepy. I have heard his songs a couple of times, but they are something I could never recomend to most people. Anyway, it's good to see that he's in a doc. At least, it should be interesting to see it.

Jun 9, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by oosoo
Hey, no sweat, not intended as a thread crap! Actually cool to see someone else get turned on to Jandek. Although his sound is very singular, I do find many moods in his records. Did you catch a screening of the doc? I've yet to see it.

Unfortunately, no. I'd love to see it, though. Guess I gotta wait for a DVD release.

Onix, I'm glad to see his stuff has reached Mexico! That'd please him. You should send him a letter. Who knows what you might receive in return
smily_headphones1.gif

- Chris

Jun 9, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 11
Oh, BTW, my theory is:

Robert Johnson really did meet the devil at those crossroads. After having his soul sucked away, he was later reincarnated as Jandek... whose only motive in life is to perform his twisted, depressing, bizarre and inhuman version of the blues for the world to hear.

- Chris

Jun 9, 2004 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
Oh, BTW, my theory is:

Robert Johnson really did meet the devil at those crossroads. After having his soul sucked away, he was later reincarnated as Jandek... whose only motive in life is to perform his twisted, depressing, bizarre and inhuman version of the blues for the world to hear.

- Chris

Actually, I think he met a Man In Black. But anyway, I wonder if Jandek has some sort of mental problem. As for writing to him, I'll better not. I don't want to get one of his famous boxes with a ton of cd's.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back