James Honeyman Scott of The Pretenders
Mar 18, 2006 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

uncle b

500+ Head-Fier
After a chance meeting with "Mystery Achievement" by The Pretenders on XM a few months back, I re-discovered the singular greatness of The Pretenders debut album.

Though my fandom of The Pretenders basically waned many years ago, that album will always be one of my all-time favorites, and without question guitarist James Honeyman Scott was/is the secret weapon on that album.

A TRUE GUITAR HERO, his playing was all over the place, controlled yet somehow unrefined, tough and waaaay feeling. Now that I have the new "Pirate Radio" box set from The Pretenders on Rhino (highly recommended, BTW), I'm seeing all these vintage pics of James Honeyman Scott and realizing how that guy exuded rock-n-roll cool: mirrored shades, Beatle boots, Gibson Les Paul, shag hair, stoned look. Of course, heroin and cocaine snuffed all that out, and all we're left with are the tunes and the memories.

Of course, the songwriting tandem of Chrissie Hynde and Honeyman Scott never got to hit stride, and when you walk through a Wal-Mart and hear Ms. Hynde crooning "I'll Stand By You"...you realize how much she ended up missing James.

Mar 18, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 3
I agree - James Honeymoon Scott was awesome (not to mention the awesome name too). His solo in "Kid" is restrained elegance, and all his rhythm parts were spot on. A million years ago I was in a band that covered Kid and Brass in Pocket, it was always awesome to study and play his guitar parts.

Thanks for the memory jog, I haven't heard that CD in a while, gonna go dig it out

-- Gordie

Mar 30, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 3
Gonna see what's left of the The Pretenders in NYC in two days...no Honeyman, but Chrissie is/was the soul of that band, and I look forward to it, mucho.

- walk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back