Jambo DAC - Build Thread
Aug 10, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #16 of 40
Pete, I'm delighted and relieved that you've got it working! It's good to hear that the HID works for you, I should test mine again since reformatting my PC...

No worries, I've quite enjoyed it too, I just hope some people will buy the ones I've got sitting here as they aren't coming to Baku with me!

Holland... Here are the datasheets that you require...

Torx/Totx147
Dual RCA
Single RCA
USB

Hope this helps - let me know if you want me to try and extract some accurate placement info from the PCB gerbers, should be possible (though I need to reinstall the CAD software!).

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #18 of 40
The HID is a great feature to have. I used a CD player enclosure so I can connect it up to the CD player's buttons on the front panel for skipping tracks and that.

I'm very happy with the DAC - sound quality out of it is excellent. It had a bit of burn in time, I've played it for about 10 hours so far and it has improved considerably. I can't really compare it to other DACs (I don't have any other DAC), but I plan to bring it over to some other people's houses to compare with their high-end hifi equipment.

I was really suprised that the DAC made such a great improvement to my setup.

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #19 of 40
Hi Guys,

I'm glad to hear that the DAC sounds good. I've completed stuffing the board but I burned one of the film capacitors in the process. I'm waiting for a replacement from Mouser so I can power everything up.

What testing did you do before applying power? I'm a little hesitant about my soldering on the ICs. I don't think I have any shorts but it is hard to see even with magnifiers.

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #20 of 40
Hi Mercator, those film caps are a bit awkward to solder aren't they...

Before applying power, I would suggest using a DMM to check for shorts between 3.3V and GND, and 5V and GND. Checking between 3.3V and 5V also would be a good idea. It would also be good practice to check the +/-12V supplies similarly though a fault here is much less likely. It is normal for a continuity tester to beep for a split second as you connect it like this as the decoupling caps will appear as short circuits when they are fully discharged - it is a constant short you need to worry about!

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #24 of 40
It's been quite some time since I received my Jambo DAC board and chips but I've just now finished up the power supplies. I'm in the process of trying to flash the microprocessor and have not yet been successful.

I'm using the unbuffered cable outlined in the user manual and I've kept the connections very short (it's pretty much hanging from the back of my computer case). The power supply reads a steady 3.3 V. The vcc pin at the ATTin2313 reads 3.3 V steady.

I'm using PonyProg2000 as suggested in the manual. I've selected the parallel interface option and have set the drop-down window to AVR ISP I/O and have selected LPT1 (the only option). Calibration said OK. When I attempt to read device I get the message:

"Device missing or unknown device (-24)"

I get the same error trying to write to the device.

I had an incident earlier that probably should be mentioned. The first time I went to power the board up I forgot to change the resistors in the TREAD that I have scavenged from an old project. Instead of 3.3 V the board was subjecteed to ~ 12V - 15V. I have a spare set of chips (all) and can replace as needed.

Did I fry a chip? Any other thoughts? This is my first experience with programming microprocessors; any help is much appreciated.

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #26 of 40
Cgrums, thanks for the update and sorry to hear that you're having problems.

I just checked the datasheet for the AT2313 and recommended Vcc is 1.8-5.5V with an absolute maximum rating of 6V. While I'm sure these are a bit conservative, 12-15V is very likely to have caused damage! So if you have a spare chip available, I would recommend changing to it.

Were the other chips soldered to the board when you attached this power supply?

I in the UK for the next few weeks so if you need new chips sent let me know ASAP - it is not a problem.

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #27 of 40
Hi Jambo!

The other chips were in fact soldered while that voltage was applied. Thank you for the very generous offer of sending new chips; I ordered a set when I first applied the power so I have a full complement standing by ready to go in. The only chips I don't have extra of are the output OPAMPs....but those are rated at 12 V no?

Apr 23, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #29 of 40
Got the new AVR chip in....was successful getting ponyprog to communicate but so far the writing of the .hex file fails at 28% each time.

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #30 of 40
I tried 'verifying' the device file in ponyprog....that also failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back