Jacqueline du Pre Fans - Bargain Box Set!!
Feb 17, 2008 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

vcoheda

High-End Forum Volunteer
51G0wHTvZnL._SS400_.jpg

The Complete EMI Recordings of Jacqueline du Pré. 17 CD Box Set retails for $60. But if you join BMG you can get this set for $28 total (or $1.64 per CD). All you need is to use a promotion code that gives you free shipping. These codes come up often or you can search around the net for them.

A Very Good Deal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jacqueline Du Pré - Complete Emi Recordings | ArkivMusic

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 19
It's a good set, I bought it last November. As far as the music goes -- it's sublime, especially the trios with Zuckerman and Barenboim; of course, the Elgar and Dvorak concertos are present and as magnificent as ever.
SQ wise, don't be expecting the absolute pinnacle of what is available, but that shouldn't be a factor when you think of what's in store.

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonym /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a good set, I bought it last November. As far as the music goes -- it's sublime, especially the trios with Zuckerman and Barenboim; of course, the Elgar and Dvorak concertos are present and as magnificent as ever.
SQ wise, don't be expecting the absolute pinnacle of what is available, but that shouldn't be a factor when you think of what's in store.

Agreed. I preordered it and have been enjoying it since it arrived. After hunting down various recordings over the years, its a revelation to have them all in one place.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 19
below are some active promotion codes that include free shipping and handling. but these codes come up often. just search around the net w/ key words "bmg promotion code"

65% Off CDs, Plus Free Shipping
F8J14, 35, 56

$5.99 CDs Plus get FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING when you order 4 or more CDs
F8J16, 37, 58

$5.99 CDs Plus get FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING when you order 5 or more CDs
F8J17, 38, 59

2/3 off CDs Plus get FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING when you order 4 or more CDs
F8J18, 39, 61

2/3 off CDs Plus get FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING when you order 5 or more CDs
F8J19, 41, 62

Feb 20, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 19
I got my wife to buy this last year (she's the cello fan, and any excuse to liberate the moths from her purse is always welcome) and of course it's fantastic. For UK listers, this isn't another US bargain that demands high postage charges: the SRP here is only £24.99, and you can see a fiver knocked off that occasionally (e.g. during a Play.com sale).

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my wife to buy this last year (she's the cello fan, and any excuse to liberate the moths from her purse is always welcome) and of course it's fantastic. For UK listers, this isn't another US bargain that demands high postage charges: the SRP here is only £24.99, and you can see a fiver knocked off that occasionally (e.g. during a Play.com sale).

That's right. paid £16.99 from Amazon direct with free P+P.
Last week I got this:
BX966.jpg

for the same price. It's a repackaged version of the mega-$$££$$ that Sony brought out a few years back --- same music and same SQ.

Feb 21, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonym /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last week I got this for the same price. It's a repackaged version of the mega-$$££$$ that Sony brought out a few years back --- same music and same SQ.

Wow. I have the deluxe Stravinsky boxed set, but at that price it's the most amazing bargain.
eek.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. I have the deluxe Stravinsky boxed set, but at that price it's the most amazing bargain.
eek.gif

You, however, get the comprehensive liner notes
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 19
ugh, this bmg thing looks fishy.. the whole, get x cds for just one penny now yada yada

have always avoided that.. and especially when recommending to a friend (who loves jacqueline du pre).. there's no way I can suggest they go through the hoops of this thing for that =\

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ugh, this bmg thing looks fishy.. the whole, get x cds for just one penny now yada yada

have always avoided that.. and especially when recommending to a friend (who loves jacqueline du pre).. there's no way I can suggest they go through the hoops of this thing for that =\

It's still a deal at full price ($59.99) through Amazon or at other locations.

Feb 21, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

how is it fishy.
confused.gif

i've been using bmg for years. great prices and service - limited selection is the only problem, although they do update their catalog pretty frequently. if you find stuff you like there, you will get it for about 1/3 or 1/2 of the cost of most online stores. that seems pretty good to me.

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

If it's available from most online stores for the bargain price, how is that fishy? I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back