Jack to USB, what options are there?
Jul 29, 2015 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

StarMatt

Head-Fier
Hello, my school recently forbade using the jack input on the computers, so we either have to get USB headphones or some kind of a mini soundcard.
I've been looking around and am interested by the Xonar U3, reviews say it's good, but I wonder if the pricetag really is justified, or if I'm better off getting something cheaper. I don't mind spending the money if it's worth it.
If I go for that option, I'd like to know if there are any software that would be an issue, since I'm mainly going to use it on a mac.

Sorry if I'm posting on the wrong forum, couldn't decide between this one and the recommendation forum, discussion is open to all of these little soundcards tho!

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 11
First, you might want to verify that the U3 doesn't require driver installation to work since I'm sure those Dolby and other DSP features probably do require drivers.

I think the Topping NX2 should be plug and play (verify that): http://www.amazon.com/NX2-Portable-Amplifier-Headphone-Earphone/dp/B00T5I60QQ/. Not sure about cheaper options other than maybe the HiFimeDIY DAC series.

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for your input, yeah the U3 should be plug and play, requires software for the dolby and stuff but without those options it works out of the box, from what I read. The Topping looks nice but is too big I think. The form factor of the U3 is what really attracted me.

Thanks again.

Edit/ Actually, don't quote me on that, the U3 might only work with windows after doing some more research. I'll have to look for users return on that.

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 11
If this is not for critical music listening, perhaps save your money and go with one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 11
Hm, listening to music is what I mostly do while I work tho, so I would have liked something decent. Oh well, I'll look around the cheaper options!

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #7 of 11
This actually looks really interesting, thanks again! I'll have to look for some reviews.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 11
Your school won't allow you to plug headphones into the computer, but they *will* let you use a USB sound card and plug headphones into that? That doesn't make any sense at all. Are you sure they aren't trying to keep students from listening to headphones on their computers altogether? Otherwise, what's the reason for not using the headphone jack?

Brian.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 11
The reason is that people are ******** and keep breaking the jack input of the computers, and I think they are just getting tired of sending back iMacs because of broken jacks.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #11 of 11
Not actually highschool, but dev school, so it can be pretty annoying to log on a computer with no jack when you spend most of your day on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back