Jack on my MC3's came off; what to do?
Jan 16, 2011 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Razgorth

New Head-Fier
So I got a pair of Ety MC3s from a friend as an early Christmas present and have been quite happy with them. However, a few days ago, I tried to take them out of my netbook audio out port, and instead succeeded only in removing the plasticky part of the plug, leaving the metal end lodged inside. I'm not sure if it was a problem with my port or the build quality of the plug: for what it's worth, I managed to pull out the broken metal end quite easily, so I don't think it was an issue with the port being too tight. Sadly, I don't have the purchase receipt and can't really ask for it conveniently (he's on vacation or something right now), which means I can't submit a warranty claim, so I was wondering what my options are right now. I sent an email to Etymotic asking if they offer repair services for a price without a receipt, but so far they haven't replied (unless you count the automatic "we've received your message and are planning to respond to it something" email), so I'm putting the question out to Head-Fi. I've done a bit of Googling and it seems that plugs are self-replaceable as long as one is willing to do a bit of soldering, but all the tutorial videos I've managed to find are for standard stereo plugs, so I'm not really sure where to find a plug that incorporates a microphone/iPod control and how I would go about soldering that (Does that have a separate ground also? Is there more than one cable for the controls?). Thus, I'm a bit leery of doing it myself at the present, but would be willing to try if anyone has proper instructions. Thanks.

Jan 17, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 6
Etymotic has great customer services. Just give them a bit of time or give them a call, I think they'll be willing to replace the pair for you.

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 6
Give them a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back