Jack-Of-All-Trade-Cans: Around $150 - I can't choose!!
Mar 24, 2008 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

TheNewGuy8

Head-Fier
So I'm looking for a pair of closed cans that will be used for everything - listening to music, gaming, a bit of amateur recording, etc. Jack-of-all-trades type cans.

I'll be using them mostly in a room with another person (hence why I think I need closed cans). I would like to use them while traveling as well, though I do have some PX100s for that. Comfort is important.

The source will be a computer - either a macbook pro or a PC with additional soundcard (not built yet, so I don't know what the card will be).

However - because of all the wonderful posts I've been perusing I can't decide!

Here's my list at the moment:

Denon D1000

AT a500/700/900 (what's the noticeable difference between these? also, do they look wierd? any pics of people wearing them?)

RP-21s

DT770

I was also considering the Senn HD280s, but it seems most folks don't love them. Though I do love their ability to fold up.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 26
You forgot the Goldring DR-150.

As for the A-T aesthetics, the cups are HUGE.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #3 of 26
I use the DT770's as my main headphones, but I use them mostly for light gaming and a lot of bassy music. I only recently bought an amp/dac (the Leckerton UHA-3) for them after like 2 years of running them straight out of my laptop, and it's not necessary to enjoy them, but it is a definite improvement with it on.

I haven't heard the others, but my next notion would be to go for the Denons from what I've heard about them.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 26
DT 770s are good for gaming, and have excellent sound isolation. They do benefit from an amp though.

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 26
1) DT770's
2)Senn 280's

Sony's are not fully over the ear and let in alot of noise....not the only reason I sold them either. 15 min and my poor ears were red.
Senn 280 pro I wore for 6 hours last night.

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 26
I used to love my MDR-V6's...but then I tried better cans. They are very sibilant & lacking bass. I can barely stand to listen to my MDR-7506's they are much more sibilant!

As for the cans you listed, I recommend AT A700/900's for all a rounders, and DT770's if you want deep bass all a rounders.

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 26
Yes, the A900 (or lower versions) suit best in this case. Its detailling abilities aren't exactly highend, and the price is a bit steep IMO, but there's simply no other unamped fullsized closed fon with such a genre bandwidth available.

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the A900 (or lower versions) suit best in this case. Its detailling abilities aren't exactly highend, and the price is a bit steep IMO, but there's simply no other unamped fullsized closed fon with such a genre bandwidth available.

Agreed

Mar 24, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 26
You should think one more time about the closed headphones, you get a lot better sound for the price with an open headphone, just my two cents
cool.gif

Mar 24, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 26
Beyerdynamic DT250 or DT150 these are rather under-appreciated cans on here, but they are good. I didnt like the DT770. They sounded ridiculously dark and thick yet at the same time, managed to have painfully sharp highs, quite an achievement. The bass was huge, but slow and ploddy. The DT250 and 150 do not have these flaws.

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #12 of 26
thank you all for the responses!

Dark and heavy are definitely not my cup of tea - i prefer a brighter, smoother sound. I like bass, but I'm definitely not a bass monster.

As for open vs. closed - hypothetically - what open cans in the same range would you all reccomend? I've been thinking closed because I don't want the sound leakage to disturb the people around me if I am using the cans in a room with other folks. Or at an airport, etc. Is that something to worry about with open cans?

Mar 24, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you all for the responses!

Dark and heavy are definitely not my cup of tea - i prefer a brighter, smoother sound. I like bass, but I'm definitely not a bass monster.

As for open vs. closed - hypothetically - what open cans in the same range would you all reccomend? I've been thinking closed because I don't want the sound leakage to disturb the people around me if I am using the cans in a room with other folks. Or at an airport, etc. Is that something to worry about with open cans?

bright, and not a basshead and open 'phones. I'm definitely thinking of Grado's, maybe the SR225.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back