Jack Johnson - Bass Heavy?
Sep 27, 2011 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
I'm listening to some Jack Johnson and I've noticed his music is pretty bass heavy with quite a lot of impact, maybe it's because of how he uses DRC? It exists in both "In Between Dreams" and "Sleep Through The Static" so it must be something with the way he records/masters. I quite like it actually, because it's not overdone, but definitely noticeable. It's definitely better than Metallica's "Death Magnetic"
confused_face.gif

Has anyone else noticed this, perhaps with certain other artists that follow this trend?

Just a random thought/observation. Not sure if it warrants starting a thread
redface.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 7
Yes...his albums tend to be bass heavy. It gives it a pleasing sound though.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 7
Yes, I can also agree that his songs are a bit bass heavy.  Though, I don't find it unpleasant.  I guess this might be due to him recording his albums on those days when the sun isn't very bright in his solar powered music studio.  
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 7
I used to find the bass a bit overblown with my previous headphones (even something like HD800). Listening now with the SR009 and it's as clean as I've heard. It is still quite a bit forward bass, maybe someone should help him improve his mastering playback equipment :wink:. At least, it does not sound overly compressed or harsh to my ears, overall a very pleasing sound in fact.

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I used to find the bass a bit overblown with my previous headphones (even something like HD800). Listening now with the SR009 and it's as clean as I've heard. It is still quite a bit forward bass, maybe someone should help him improve his mastering playback equipment :wink:. At least, it does not sound overly compressed or harsh to my ears, overall a very pleasing sound in fact.

I believe it is mastered by Bernie Grundman if I remember correctly. Not too shabby of a mastering engineer. I think the extra bass is probably artist request.

Oct 2, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I think the extra bass is probably artist request.

Ah, then, someone needs to get the man himself to retune his home audio playback system, although I thought no artist out there ever listened to their own record :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back