Jack connector for B22
Nov 14, 2009 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

technetium

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys

Well I am currently sourcing various parts for two B22 (one silver case, one black) that I am going to build.

I want to keep the front panel as clean as possible, and I like neutrik connectors (who does not
regular_smile .gif
).

But I have a question regarding the regular Neutrik locking jack has a hideous red release bottom made of plastic.

Neutrik - Audio - Locking 1/4" Phone Jacks - NJ3FP6C-B

I am going to fasten the jacks from the back of the front panel so that no screws a visible. But now the hideous red plastik thing on the jack is in the way.
Does anyone know if that red thing can be ripped off? Because I dont need the locking feature.

Or...

Should I just go with a NCJ6FI-S-0

Neutrik - Audio - Combo Series - NCJ6FI-S-0

Then I also only need two connectors in total for both the single ended and the balanced output.

Any thoughts, ideas?

Nov 14, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 10
I would go with the combo jacks. They will clean up your panel by reducing the number of jacks you need and then you don't have the issue with the locking jack at all. I see no downside with this approach. (I used the combo jacks myself for my own balanced b22.)

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 10
Okay, they are good quality as well right? Just Neutrik list that the locking connector has gold pins hehe, I like gold.

How thick wire do they accommodate? Its just I am using 19awg Kimber Tcss, and sometimes its just a hair to thick for small connectors.

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 10
You can release and remove the Red locking mechanism very easily. It removes from the top of the jack. A small screwdriver or other flat object will work. It's on a spring style device, and it's easy to see how to remove it once you have it in your hands.

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can release and remove the Red locking mechanism very easily. It removes from the top of the jack. A small screwdriver or other flat object will work. It's on a spring style device, and it's easy to see how to remove it once you have it in your hands.

Okay, ill take into consideration, but right now the other connectors are tempting.
Anyone know if they are of as good quality as the first?

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 10
Having a lock on a TRS plug especially with a Beta22 is a very good idea. I have read numerous post about people disconnecting or accidently knocking the jack out, to find that a short has done some serious damage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at the very least, the volume should be turned to minimum before inserting/removing the unbalanced TRS headphone plug. If the volume is not turned down, the momentary short on the plug can cause a very large current to flow from the L and R channels' output to each other or to ground, enough to cause damage to the amp (and the β22 could certainly deliver a huge amount of current).

Nov 14, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having a lock on a TRS plug especially with a Beta22 is a very good idea. I have read numerous post about people disconnecting or accidently knocking the jack out, to find that a short has done some serious damage.

Happened to me at a meet. It was a pretty bonfire though.

It ended up frying two boards (all repaired now).

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happened to me at a meet. It was a pretty bonfire though.

It ended up frying two boards (all repaired now).

Oh yeah, I do remember reading that thread. Glad you got it all sorted, great community spirit with the repairs
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by technetium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
locking it is!

Good choice technetium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back