Jack and plug for Crystal cable
Mar 5, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 16
how about 1 L 1 R 2 G ^_^ the normal way
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 16
Do you even know that each Crystal Cable wire has 2 conductors? The inner is solid gold which is used for signal, the outer layer is stranded silver which is used for ground. To make a cable, you only need 2 wires of CC. Any other configuration will be a waste of money and doesn't make any improvement.

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 16
Original, I want to use 2 wire.
But my friend tell me that, he use 6 and get incredible effect.

So I start to think 6 wire.

But according yo your information.
4 might be enough.

2 gold for each side and silver for ground.

Thank for your information

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hkimo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Original, I want to use 2 wire.
But my friend tell me that, he use 6 and get incredible effect.

So did you ever wonder why Crystal Cable never uses 6 wires instead of 2?

Mar 6, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you even know that each Crystal Cable wire has 2 conductors? The inner is solid gold which is used for signal, the outer layer is stranded silver which is used for ground. To make a cable, you only need 2 wires of CC. Any other configuration will be a waste of money and doesn't make any improvement.

yes its coax, but I dont know where you heard that regarding the center conductor, this is totally incorrect. both outside and inside conductors are electrum, which is a silver/gold alloy and piccolino isnt solid in center, only the reference and perhaps piccolo, but I havent made piccolo cables, only referrence and piccolino, is and I doubt very much he is talking about reference.

yes to the OP, I really am unsure of what you are trying to do there, your friend is either nuts or is setting you up to lose money, in fact if anything using more wires will smear the sound and make it worse, but I dont think so, it will absolutely NOT make it better.

how are you planning on making it longer I wonder? also you cannot but the custom connectors, you must make them like I do, or chop off from a stock cable.

feel free to wste hundreds of dollars on a falsity if you like, if you hear better, you hear better, but it will be in your mind

edit I see you are talking about piccolo, its still electrum

I repeat, more wires will NOT make it sound better except for maybe placebo

Mar 6, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 16
^^Jeremy, are there any "absolutes" in audio? If there is anything I've learned over the past 25+ years, after spending many hundreds of thousands of dollars, is to keep an open mind.

I have my own ideas of what is "right", however, I wouldn't discourage anyone from experimenting. Experience is the best teacher.

Let the guy try six strands if he wants...DIY is supposed to be fun, and experimentation is fun, he can always rebuild the cable if he doesn't like six strands, after all, he is DIY'ing the cable.

Even if he ruins the wire and the experiment is a bust, so what? The wire still costs less than a half decent bottle of single malt...

Peace,

Lee

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes its coax, but I dont know where you heard that regarding the center conductor, this is totally incorrect. both outside and inside conductors are electrum, which is a silver/gold alloy and piccolino isnt solid in center, only the reference and perhaps piccolo, but I havent made piccolo cables, only referrence and piccolino, is and I doubt very much he is talking about reference.

He and I were talking about the Piccolo, sir.

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 16
yes, which is also electrum

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^Jeremy, are there any "absolutes" in audio? If there is anything I've learned over the past 25+ years, after spending many hundreds of thousands of dollars, is to keep an open mind.

I have my own ideas of what is "right", however, I wouldn't discourage anyone from experimenting. Experience is the best teacher.

Let the guy try six strands if he wants...DIY is supposed to be fun, and experimentation is fun, he can always rebuild the cable if he doesn't like six strands, after all, he is DIY'ing the cable.

Even if he ruins the wire and the experiment is a bust, so what? The wire still costs less than a half decent bottle of single malt...

Peace,

Lee

ok mate, fair call, if hes got the dollars to blow on a whim so be it.

lee, not sure you know what wire we are talking about. a six wire cable is going to cost in the realms of 1500 isnt it?? arent the piccolo cables like 5-600 dollars? so X 3 1500. at least they were last time I saw. if thats changed then sorry for getting uptight. yeah man, I dont care i just hate to see someone waste 1200 dollars

lil' knight, I thought I had gone back and edited the beginning of that post, I started it before I saw it was definitely piccolo and meant to go back and change it because I havent made any piccolo cables, but AFAIK its also electrum, the whole range is.I could be wrong there, but you are correct in one thing for sure the piccolo one is solid. didnt actually mean it to come off the way it reads, just sometimes it amazes me the money people will throw at things even having advice (that they asked for) that says its a crazy idea. to the OP, if it makes you happy man, go for it, but in all my time making cables I have never experienced any positive effect past the point where its thick enough and piccolo is thick enough already IMO. hell 30AWG is thick enough already

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok mate, fair call, if hes got the dollars to blow on a whim so be it.

lee, not sure you know what wire we are talking about. a six wire cable is going to cost in the realms of 1500 isnt it?? arent the piccolo cables like 5-600 dollars? so X 3 1500. at least they were last time I saw. if thats changed then sorry for getting uptight. yeah man, I dont care i just hate to see someone waste 1200 dollars

Well, if that's the case, then that dough would buy a helluva bottle of whiskey...

Still, this hobby is supposed to fun, lest we forget. Some of us, especially those of use who make a living from the audio industry, forget that sometimes. Life's a journey, don't die saying, "I wish I would have".

Advice: Solder carefully, my Taiwanese friend!

Peace,

Lee

Mar 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if that's the case, then that dough would buy a helluva bottle of whiskey...

Still, this hobby is supposed to fun, lest we forget. Some of us, especially those of use who make a living from the audio industry, forget that sometimes. Life's a journey, don't die saying, "I wish I would have".

Advice: Solder carefully, my Taiwanese friend!

Peace,

Lee

Indeed
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back