Jaben Fear...
Jul 12, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #121 of 204

Quote:
But at your age, I really don't suggest getting a top tier IEM. The IEM business is booming and anything you get now will most likely be old news by next year, maybe even before the end of the year. Not to say they'll magically sound bad, but as a teenager, you don't need to spend so much money on them. Hell, you wouldn't even be able to appreciate the difference as much as if you climbed the ladder. Get a nice home system too.
biggrin.gif
You can't do analytical listening when you're out and about as much as when you're just chilling at home. Home systems is where most of the value is. IMO. No need to argue with me other people. It's just in my experience. Diminishing returns sets in rather quickly in the portable world. I haven't heard the godliness of customs though.

as much as some people should learn to appreciate the differences, some aren't in this for the musical journey, but if they are then all well and good. I certainly wish I had the finances to appreciate the differences at all stages, but I definitely haven't. Some are in just for the fast track and showing off of course, but that's another story altogether. If anyone has the spare cash, go for the journey if you have the interest, I'm sure it will be more enriching and beneficial.

I don't wanna know that the SM3s are the best. hush
biggrin.gif

in the meantime, ya supposed to be hunting for a nice DAC for me
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #122 of 204

Quote:

as much as some people should learn to appreciate the differences, some aren't in this for the musical journey, but if they are then all well and good. I certainly wish I had the finances to appreciate the differences at all stages, but I definitely haven't. Some are in just for the fast track and showing off of course, but that's another story altogether. If anyone has the spare cash, go for the journey if you have the interest, I'm sure it will be more enriching and beneficial.

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

TOOOOOOBS! I gave like 4 good suggestions!
biggrin.gif

And unless you're musically trained or something and have good ears, you won't immediately be able to tell the difference between two similar sounding headphones at different price points. IME. Tested with some people. Heck, some people prefer my $30 Meelectronics M9 to my $400 Monster Turbine Pros. They have semi-similar (both have somewhat a focus on low end) sound signatures. I'm just saying $400 IEMs just may be a waste when she can get something for half the price and be just as happy if she never hears the $400 IEMs. With $100, you might be able to hear some glaring flaws with them, or maybe not. Do you play a musical instrument AlyssaBelle?

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #123 of 204

Quote:
biggrin.gif

And unless you're musically trained or something and have good ears, you won't immediately be able to tell the difference between two similar sounding headphones at different price points. IME. Tested with some people. Heck, some people prefer my $30 Meelectronics M9 to my $400 Monster Turbine Pros. They have semi-similar (both have somewhat a focus on low end) sound signatures. I'm just saying $400 IEMs just may be a waste when she can get something for half the price and be just as happy if she never hears the $400 IEMs. With $100, you might be able to hear some glaring flaws with them, or maybe not. Do you play a musical instrument AlyssaBelle?

pfft suggestions suggestions, ya supposed to buy me one!

mmm...I was just pointing out an alternate perspective. And yes, I agree, not everyone values sound similarly and everyone perceives it differently.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #124 of 204

Quote:
pfft suggestions suggestions, ya supposed to buy me one!

Psh, let me take care of myself before setting up a charity for you
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #125 of 204

Quote:

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Too bad, it blows the ie8 out of the water, speaking in terms of faithfulness to the recording. but it's expensive as hell. 
biggrin.gif

so spend wisely. it'd make more sense if you're stressed over your homeworks, rather than earphones. There is some subtle differences between cheaper earphones and high end earphones, although not much. There are a lot of earphones that sound good, but for some to do everything right, that's hard, and you pay for it.

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #126 of 204

Quote:

Too bad, it blows the ie8 out of the water, speaking in terms of faithfulness to the recording. but it's expensive as hell. 
biggrin.gif

so spend wisely. it'd make more sense if you're stressed over your homeworks, rather than earphones. There is some subtle differences between cheaper earphones and high end earphones, although not much. There are a lot of earphones that sound good, but for some to do everything right, that's hard, and you pay for it.

ssshhh...don't tell me that! lol.

Yeah, the IE8s are comparatively coloured, but for the moment, I'm fine with that and I have the 702s back home for a different sound signature. But yeah, I don't see myself investing in another IEM unless it's a custom honestly because that's the next step up although the argument is that the SM3 is a step up, I can't see it being more than a minor upgrade or sidegrade at the end of the day and I don't want to have to buy too many IEMs if I'm already happy with mine, though admittedly, I could be happier.

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #127 of 204
You don't have to always buy the best that's out there. You will go into debt very fast if you do that and stay in head-fi :)

If you are already happy then don't need to buy more :p

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #128 of 204

Quote:
You don't have to always buy the best that's out there. You will go into debt very fast if you do that and stay in head-fi :)

L3000.gif

my sentiments exactly
dt880smile.png

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #129 of 204
does the recorder count? nah, on second thought no... i'm planning on starting with the violin, but i also love the recorder so i need sometime to think it over, at the end of this year cuz i'm currently too burned out to do anything...( my own fault, i signed up for everything that came my way but... how can i not? i have a strong interest in all these stuff...) and while i don't know what your definition of good ears are... i can pretty much tell if someone(pointing finger at my sis) is playing out of tune and stuff like that(but then again, hearing my sis play the keyboard would cause your ears to bleed) by the way, is it ok if you just call me Alyssa or Belle cuz the both happen to be my name(not full though... my full one is a bit more than twice the length of AB...^^) and regarding your last comment, i think some people are just unable to hear the difference or they don't care cuz while i hate the fact that when i listen to my headphones and i hear weird stuff that should not be there(like when i'm listening to blue moon and the woman's voice just seems to be, for a lack of a better word, coloured and when i listen to stuff like Bon Jovi's Its My Life, i don't feel awake... just normal) and get irritated, my mum and sis just stared at me weirdly and said that there was nothing wrong with my headphones...(and then, thank the gods my sis started to use my headphones to listen to herself while she play the keyboard^^) opps! long post...

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #130 of 204
its because i'm not longer happy with my current headphones that i stumbled upon this website^^ and if you don't have money and refuse to borrow any, how can you go into debt? you just become poor^^

Quote:

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #131 of 204
Alyssa: or you save up for em, and plan ahead. Generally places like this are good since you can get some idea on what to expect, even before you try something out, least for me

Personally though, i don't think musical training is a prerequisite for 'critical' hearing - my mom borrows my ears for tuning a stringed instrument cause i can tell if tis correctly tuned or not - and she's classically trained in karnatic music.

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #132 of 204

Quote:
does the recorder count? nah, on second thought no... i'm planning on starting with the violin, but i also love the recorder so i need sometime to think it over, at the end of this year cuz i'm currently too burned out to do anything...( my own fault, i signed up for everything that came my way but... how can i not? i have a strong interest in all these stuff...) and while i don't know what your definition of good ears are... i can pretty much tell if someone(pointing finger at my sis) is playing out of tune and stuff like that(but then again, hearing my sis play the keyboard would cause your ears to bleed) by the way, is it ok if you just call me Alyssa or Belle cuz the both happen to be my name(not full though... my full one is a bit more than twice the length of AB...^^) and regarding your last comment, i think some people are just unable to hear the difference or they don't care cuz while i hate the fact that when i listen to my headphones and i hear weird stuff that should not be there(like when i'm listening to blue moon and the woman's voice just seems to be, for a lack of a better word, coloured and when i listen to stuff like Bon Jovi's Its My Life, i don't feel awake... just normal) and get irritated, my mum and sis just stared at me weirdly and said that there was nothing wrong with my headphones...(and then, thank the gods my sis started to use my headphones to listen to herself while she play the keyboard^^) opps! long post...

You probably won't be immediately able to tell much difference, it takes some experience. You'd probably easily notice the difference in quality if you had messed around with some quality audio equipment before or gone to several concerts and appreciated it.  Pertaining to your issue of 'coloured' music, the sound produced take on the sound signature of the earphones, and even high-end earphones aren't all neutral earphones. Also, better earphones may not necessarily sound better at first, especially if you are used to cheaper earphones.

If you have the money, you should probably look at something good to keep away from the temptation and interest in a better product. The problem is, getting a set of one of the best universal earphones would probably have you looking at custom earphones, and being uninterested in anything below that level. You will probably get very poor, since there's probably always something better out there.

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #133 of 204

^^^^totally correct.

Quote:

Mkay, you probably have good ears. If you can find little things that that annoying, you aren't tone deaf haha. But I still really don't recommend spending so much money on IEMs. How long do you plan on using them first? If you plan on using them for around 5 hours a day (that would get mighty uncomfortable), then you can probably justify spending the coin on ER4s. I still really don't think you should start with "the best." The differences will be so slight in comparison to the extra $200, it's not really worth it for a newbie. I really need to touch up on my piano skills, after refining my saxophone playing... Haha recorder? Kind of a strange (no offense) instrument to love. Maybe try the clarinet? I think they have similar notes. I'd have to look at the clarinet practice book I have at home to make sure. Don't apologize for a long post. It can never be too long. (anyone that says "That's what she said" loses a limb 
biggrin.gif
) Says the guy that made a 15 page review on his Coppers...

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #134 of 204

Why don't you consider the Fischer Audio DBA-02? They have them in a local online store, Treoo.com

It's only a pre-order at the moment, though, as stocks worldwide are limited. Treoo reckons they'd get it by the end of this month

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #135 of 204

Quote:
^^^^totally correct.

Mkay, you probably have good ears. If you can find little things that that annoying, you aren't tone deaf haha. But I still really don't recommend spending so much money on IEMs. How long do you plan on using them first? If you plan on using them for around 5 hours a day (that would get mighty uncomfortable), then you can probably justify spending the coin on ER4s. I still really don't think you should start with "the best." The differences will be so slight in comparison to the extra $200, it's not really worth it for a newbie. I really need to touch up on my piano skills, after refining my saxophone playing... Haha recorder? Kind of a strange (no offense) instrument to love. Maybe try the clarinet? I think they have similar notes. I'd have to look at the clarinet practice book I have at home to make sure. Don't apologize for a long post. It can never be too long. (anyone that says "That's what she said" loses a limb 
biggrin.gif
) Says the guy that made a 15 page review on his Coppers...

in Singapore, we have to learn to play the recorder from young, though I don't remember any of it now, but that's an entirely different thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back