Jaawa's HEADPHONExperience '08: Sennheiser HD 650, Denon AH-D2000 and Meier-Audio OPERA
Sep 4, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaawa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kiitos kiitos
wink.gif

Sibelius all along the line, right on mate, Scene de ballet (1891), ah, yes.

Or what about Kullervo (1892), with Vänskä and the Lahti Sinfonia; or Luonnotar sung by Soile Isokoski? Uskomattoman kaunis... Been listening to those two a lot lately; Kullervo's a revelation on the 650s - showing off those raw and mighty crescendos, the most diaphanous string pianissimos, and of course the central choral and solo vocals.

I'll be putting the D5000s through their paces with Kullervo tomorrow (after a suitable burn-in), in a close comparison with the 650s, since the piece has become so familiar; although I doubt if I could ever touch your own inimitable reviewing style
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or what about Kullervo (1892), with Vänskä and the Lahti Sinfonia; or Luonnotar sung by Soile Isokoski? Uskomattoman kaunis... Been listening to those two a lot lately; Kullervo's a revelation on the 650s - showing off those raw and mighty crescendos, the most diaphanous string pianissimos, and of course the central choral and solo vocals.

I'll be putting the D5000s through their paces with Kullervo tomorrow (after a suitable burn-in), in a close comparison with the 650s, since the piece has become so familiar; although I doubt if I could ever touch your own inimitable reviewing style
smily_headphones1.gif

Why yes, Kullervo is a great piece, but I'm afraid I haven't heard it by that
collaboration, I'll have to aquire it
wink.gif

Heh, yeah I just try to keep my reviews lively with fresh perspectives into
things, I hate reading crusty-dry reviews that only concentrate on numerals
or somesuch :p

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #34 of 48
Got my D2000 just recently, only burnt in for 24 hours but it sure does sound good! I've been in love with my Sennheiser HD600 for over 8 years now... recently I've become aware of the "veil" but it doesn't bother me too much becuase the rest of it just sounds so right. I've tried several other cans in the same price range over the last few years but none of them came close. Most recently I had a set of Audio-Technica AD-900 - I loved the treble but the bass was a little lacking, especially because the cans did not sit well on my ears. They also leaked a lot more sound than the HD600, so late night listening in bed was impossible. I got the D2000 after reading a review in the UK magazine Hi-Fi Choice, and also from forum posts. After so many disappointments I was very nervous when unboxing it. First impressions were very good, even without burn-in. It sounds a lot more open than all the other closed-back cans I have heard before. All my previous closed-back cans were a compromise... when listening late at night I would often think "I love this music but it would sound so much better if I could listen on my HD600". With the D2000 I have no such feelings! Yes, the HD600 is still better. I'm not very good at analysing and putting into words, but there's something about them that just sounds more natural, more atmospheric. Perhaps with some more burn-in the gap between the two cans will narrow further.

Reading Jaawa's review has got me intrigued about the HD650.

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #35 of 48
Jaawa,
Thank you for the review. The (stock) D2000 eventually drew me in, and continue to draw me in.

The HD650, after multiple iterations, recables, sources and amps no longer grace my ears.

I fondly recall magic moments with the HD600 and the Corda HA-2 and Prehead, though! : )
PAB

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by russelk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... when listening late at night I would often think "I love this music but it would sound so much better if I could listen on my HD600". With the D2000 I have no such feelings! Yes, the HD600 is still better. I'm not very good at analysing and putting into words, but there's something about them that just sounds more natural, more atmospheric. Perhaps with some more burn-in the gap between the two cans will narrow further.

IMHE, the D2000 resolve detail better than the HD600, plus I think the Denon sound more vibrant and balanced. Between the two HD6x0, I've always had an affinity for the HD600, though. I've owned the HD650 on four occasions now, and they've never grabbed my attention, or even gently acquired it over the long term. Balanced? Now that might be a different story, or so I've read; but single-endedly the HD650 have become a perennial disappointment to these ears.

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by orangem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG what a cool review. I sure could use some expertise if I needed to do a presentation. Very out of topic but what program did you use before converting it into Adobe?

Heh thanks, I've gotten pretty used to making all my documents like this..
or the important ones much better than this, since I'm a to-be mechatronics engineer.

Before converting it to .PDF-fileformat, I wrote the whole thing
with Microsoft Office 2007 and the images were manipulated in Photoshop.

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by russelk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I love this music but it would sound so much better if I could listen on my HD600". With the D2000 I have no such feelings! Yes, the HD600 is still better. I'm not very good at analysing and putting into words, but there's something about them that just sounds more natural, more atmospheric. Perhaps with some more burn-in the gap between the two cans will narrow further.

Heh, yes but we all have our own different ears for music and whatnot, as I
said in the review of mine, I suspect my opinions on the HD 650's are biased
beyond repair, since I've always loved them
smily_headphones1.gif

They are both very nice cans however, I like both the D2000 and the HD 650
a lot, and I have no desire to get rid of either of them, I just take turns
listening to them both
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balanced? Now that might be a different story, or so I've read; but single-endedly the HD650 have become a perennial disappointment to these ears.

That's a bummer, but that's headphone audio, it's so personal
smily_headphones1.gif

While I think the HD 650 now sound perfect with the OPERA, they still have
stock cabling and not the most prestigious source/IC's, so maybe I'll invest in
some cardas cables, proper IC's and a good DAC (I've always dreamt about a
BelCanto DAC)
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: oh cool, this was my 100th post here at Head-Fi, I sure am enjoying being here
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

That's a bummer, but that's headphone audio, it's so personal
smily_headphones1.gif

Everybody hears sound differently, just as they see the world around them in different ways. And everyone's hearing apparatus is in varying stages of deterioration, depending on age and sonic abuse...
wink.gif

Quote:

While I think the HD 650 now sound perfect with the OPERA, they still have
stock cabling and not the most prestigious source/IC's, so maybe I'll invest in
some cardas cables, proper IC's and a good DAC (I've always dreamt about a
BelCanto DAC)
smily_headphones1.gif

You'll find the Cardas cable upgrade will make all the difference, tightening up the already exceptional bass and imparting a more limpid quality to the high treble and liquidity to the mids. I bought the cable upgrade at the same time as I ordered my 650s, so I could immediately compare it with stock: like night and day...

BTW, if you're interested I just created a new thread of my first-day assessment of the AH-D5000 against the Senns. You probably saw it already? - My general conclusion is that the Denons are a can to die for. I'm sorry to report that they do rather blow away the 650s in most areas, particularly orchestral music.

And yes, go for that Vänskä 'Kullervo' - it's incredible.

Sep 5, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

You have a point, but as proverbs and sayings go, you musn't interpret them
so seriously :p ...for can it not be said, that the silkyness in Laphroaig is like
the weaved handle of a katana, or like the 600-times turned smoothed-out
grind of the blade, mirror polished and soft like skin to the touch, yet it
delivers such a blow that will chop your head off, for it is Laphroaig.

But yes, I've had a chance to have one bottle of Talisker Distiller's Edition,
and it was quite pleasurable. My tastes however, are pretty much where
the Laphroaig 10yo CS is, it's my favorite whisky of all time, by far.
(PS. here is my current collection)

Jaawa, you've got very nice whisky colleciton indeed:

pullorivi_Q32008.png

Sep 5, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll find the Cardas cable upgrade will make all the difference, tightening up the already exceptional bass and imparting a more limpid quality to the high treble and liquidity to the mids. I bought the cable upgrade at the same time as I ordered my 650s, so I could immediately compare it with stock: like night and day...

BTW, if you're interested I just created a new thread of my first-day assessment of the AH-D5000 against the Senns. You probably saw it already

Yes I've been hearing a lot of good about the Cardas cables, but I think I'll
make a shorter mid-fi cable first out of some microphone cable.

I've been busy, I'll get around to reading your thread soon, if I already had, I
would have commented on it most likely
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jaawa, you've got very nice whisky colleciton indeed

Heh yes, I do love Islay ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back